Eighteen

~Frank's POV~

I lead Gerard to a small coffee shop off to the side of campus. There were only four tables scattered throughout the small space, but there was room for us to sit down by a window. I was just sitting down from helping Gerard into his own seat when a short light haired boy came cheerfully over.

"Hi! Welcome to the Campus Coffee house. I'm Patrick, what can I getchya?" He asked with a smile.

"Can I get some espresso?" Gerard asked, turning his head in Patrick's direction.

"How strong are you hoping for?"

"He wants to sleep tonight." I laughed. Patrick nodded with a laugh of his own.

"Got it. What would you like?"

"Gimme some hot chocolate with a shot of caramel." I shrugged.

"Great! Back in a bit with that." Patrick nodded. He finished writing down on his notepad and walked over to another couple in the corner.

"You came to a coffee joint and didn't even get a coffee?" Gerard asked with a laugh evident in his tone.

"It's nice and cold for cocoa, you espresso maniac." I teased.

"Oh please, you don't know the half of it..." His tone lowered at the last part. I made a mental note to watch his espresso intake...

"So..." Gerard stretched his arms across the table as the rain began to beat on the small café's window. He tilted his head and brought his arms back in front of him. "Can we return to my question earlier?.."

I smiled down at the table. "Ah...I think I can describe them to you..." I shifted my gaze back to him and continued, "Your eyes are simply amazing... They remind me of everything natural in the world...Hazel with beautiful mixes of brown and green... As much as you can get from a photo, it's one of the most beautiful I've ever seen..."

I shrugged as I finished, beginning to trail off. I felt like I was rambling now... I didn't want to weird him out ranting on about his eyes that I had never even seen in person...

"Aren't your eyes hazel too?" Gerard asked, tilting his head.

I laughed, "Yea, but nowhere near as nice a hazel as yours..." You're doing it again, Frank.

"If I could see them I'd argue..." Gerard mumbled.

I opened my mouth to argue back at him, to tell him there was no comparison, when Patrick came back with our drinks.

"One espresso, strong but not too strong..." He set a mug down in front of Gerard before turning to me, "and one caramel shot hot chocolate!" He set a taller mug down in front of me and smiled, "Just wave me over if you need anything else!"

"Thanks, dude." I smiled with a nod.

He walked away and I turned back to see Gerard already downing his drink. I laughed as he set it down, putting my cold hands around my own warm cup. It felt so good.

"I like my caffeinated drinks." He said sheepishly with a shrug.

"I can tell." I teased, taking a slow sip from my cup. I could feel the warmth spreading through me as it slid down my throat. It easily took the chill of the rainy day away.

"When I was little, my dad gave me some...For the first time..." Gerard spoke softly, but I could hear him. It made me double take slightly. Gerard never talked about his dad... Hell, he'd never really told me about his family at all before the Thanksgiving break...

"I was so little, I was a mess..." A grin spread across his face, "Mom was so mad..."

"That had to be fun, though." I smiled.

I saw him shiver slightly as he nodded, reaching for his cup again. I stood up, grabbed my chair, and moved to sit next to him. I put my arm around him and squeezed him just a bit.

"Gunna make me spill my coffee, jerk!" Gerard laughed, holding his coffee just above the table.

"You haven't yet, so hush." I rolled my eyes and leaned over, planting a kiss on his chilled cheek.

"Your lip ring is freezing!" Gerard gasped.

"Sorry, baby." I laughed. I leaned my head on his shoulder as he slid his cup back and forth slowly. "Whatchya thinkin' about?" I murmured.

He hummed softly, not really responding to my question. He was silent for about a minute more before he spoke again.

"No one has seen my eyes since my vision went away..." He said softly.

I lifted my head and turned to him as he continued.

"I heard... I heard color goes away after awhile... I mean, it's been around 15 years... So long for something to be so hidden away..."

I squeezed Gerard tighter and frowned a bit at him. "You're afraid of what they'll look like?" I asked.

He hesitated before nodding. "What if they're not the same as what everyone describes they're supposed to be?.." He whispered. His voice sounded weak and close to tears.

"Hey, hey..." I shushed him, leaning my forehead against the side of his head, "Don't. Don't worry about that. Everything changes... Your eyes are just part of the cycle of changes." I pulled away and brought one of my hands up to his cheek, turning it in my direction. "I can't promise they'll be what people remember. One thing I can promise, is that no matter what happened to your eyes, it won't change the way I feel about you."

I leaned in and placed my lips on his. His lips were parted just slightly, and I could taste his caffeinated drink. He moved his lips along with mine, but pulled away not too long after.

"I never really was one for PDA..." He laughed sadly.

"Like you could see it."

"Owch! That stung. I was just trying to imply that maybe we could go back to the room?.." His lips curved into a sad smile.

I grinned and slid my thumb over his cheek. "What are we waiting for?.."

He began to stand and I helped him up to his feet. As he began to fiddle with his cane, I dug in my pocket for some cash. I pulled out a crumpled ten and set it down on the table. I took Gerard's hand and lead him to the door.

"Keep the change, Patrick!" I called out over my shoulder as I lead Gerard out the door.

---
A/N~ holy hell this hit 3k reads on Sunday, thank you!! This is so exciting omfg plus this Friday I get to see fiatc aaaahhh I'm so damn pumped THANK YOU GUYS FOR LIKING THIS
PS the next chapter might get some smut action (or implication of because I don't write good smut) ((please give me your opinion on that please))

Thanks guys aahhh

~Skittles Out~