Thirty Five

~Frank's POV~

Gerard sat nervously in the doctor's office next to me. He was twisting his fingers together on his lap. I leaned over and kissed his cheek.

"Relax." I whispered to him.

"What if they can't help me?" Gerard asked in a hushed voice, "Frank, it's been so long."

"You gotta have hope, baby." I soothed, pushing some hair behind his ear. Gerard just bit his lip in response.

Before I could say anything further, a nurse opened a door and called out for a 'Gerald Way?'

"Gerard, ma'am." Gerard sighed, shaking his head slightly.

"Whoops! Sorry about that, sweetheart, right this way." The nurse apologized, holding the door open for us. I held onto Gerard's hand as we walked into the white hall that was scattered with some decorative pieces, as well as various clipboards and charts. Gerard was slower than usual, still nervous.

"Room six." The nurse smiled, pointing down the hall. "Doctor Williams will be with you shortly."

"Thank you..." Gerard replied quietly.

I pulled Gerard into the room and helped him onto the patient chair before I stepped in front of him. I leaned my head against his and held the sides of his head.

"You don't need to be so stressed out." I told him, softly. "Even if it can't be fixed, it won't change anything... I'll still love you..."

He brought his hands up to cover mine. He gripped my hands tightly. "That doesn't stop my fear..."

"Just breathe..." I soothed, brushing my nose against his. He smiled weakly, sending his glasses up on his cheeks just slightly.

"There you go." I smiled, giving him a quick kiss before I dropped my hands from his head, still keeping a grip on his fidgeting hands. "You'll be fine, baby."

As I spoke, a woman with short red hair walked into the room with a clipboard in hand. She smiled at the two of us as she walked over to a small counter on the side of the room.

"Hello, boys." She said, cheerfully. "I'm doctor Williams! Now who here is..." She looked back at her paperwork, "Gerard?"

"That's me." Gerard said with a small smile. I squeezed his hands before letting them go. I stepped to the side to let the doctor walk over.

She stood in front of Gerard, looking him over. "May I take off your glasses?" She asked.

Gerard was hesitant, but he nodded. Doctor Williams reached out and gently slipped his glasses and held them nervously in his hand.

"How's your vision currently?" She asked, observing his eyes.

Gerard shrugged, "Oh, you know... Zero to none."

"Alright..." She nodded with a shake of her head and a laugh. She reached into a pocket on her white uniform and pulled out a flashlight. "I'm just going to do a quick test. Probably won't help with your vision range but, if you can, follow the light."

"I thought you weren't supposed to go towards the light?" Gerard grinned slightly.

The doctor laughed. "I like you!" She turned to me with a smile, "You're friend is hilarious."

"He really brightens my life." I nodded, looking affectionately at Gerard. He was tapping his toes together while a slight redness filled his cheeks.

"Aahh...more than friends." She smiled. She brought up her flashlight to Gerard's eye level and turned it on. She shined it over his left eye, then his right. As expected, there was no response.