Chapter 22: Fate means Death

Once a day or so passed with complete boredom taking over my entire life, i was finally able to stand and walk at a slow pace which also meant i could leave the room. The familiarity of the nursing room was bothering me from the moment i was guided there and by now, i was glad to be rid of the place. As i walked out of the door for the first time, i assured the maid my side never hurt at all when i walked because if she knew the truth—that it hurt like hell—i would be sent to sit down again. Each foot step out the door pained my side but it was worth it. Giving the maid a nod, she looked back at me with stern eyes that meant she would be watching me.

"Just a few hours, now." She said, her voice as graceful as a song, "then come back for some proper rest."

"Yes, i will." I replied and walked down the long hall way with a grin plastered to my face to see the outside of that dreadful room. I walked down past the rows of hallways until i found my self in a familiar area, the wing just off of the king's throne.

I couldn't help but pause with curiosity about the king's illness that attacked him while i was gone. Would he like to see me? Yes, Fili had said so.

I walked up to the tall, heavy doors that had a guard standing beside them. He eyed me and opened his mouth to speak, "miss." He greeted, "are you in need of any services?"

"Well, i was asked by the prince to come and see the king." Sort of...

"Your name?" He asked as he glanced down the long corridor to another guard outside another set of large doors.

"Sophia" I answered as i too looked down the corridor for a moment. The two guards made eye contact for a moment and they seemed to be giving each other a signal that only the other could tell what on earth it meant.

"One moment. I'll see what i can do." He turned and pushed open one door with a heave and disappeared into the  room. I stood silently until the doors creaked open again after quite a long time. "He too wishes to see you."

And with that, he motioned for me to enter. A sound that filled my ears of coughing made me wince as i stepped through the door. As soon as my foot travelled under the arch, the cough was choked down. I flicked my head down the long, majestic isle to the king's throne and caught a glimpse of a red stained handkerchief being tucked to the side.

Thorin gave me an expressionless glare as i walked up to the throne. The gold accents piecing the high chair together and i maze of furs covering Thorin's slightly slumped  body made me turn my eyes away from his staring expression.

As i reached the steps, i made brief eye contact before ducking my body into a delicate curtesy.

"My king." I said, mimicking his expression. He puffed a sigh that made his throat choke and narrowed his eyes deeply to mine. "You wanted to see me?"

"Not enough." This made my eyes perk up to his and i gave him a strange look. "But yet you are here."

"If you have no need in seeing me, then i should go." I said, almost threatening. "I was simply told by a birdie you wished to see me when i was well enough to do so", i narrowed my eyes, "that you were not—how do i say—well enough to see me?"

His eyes narrowed to mine and i admit i shifted back just slightly. The way i'd said it... It was unnecessary.

"Kili? He told you of my-" he paused and twitched in his seat, "minor setback?"

"Lord King," i said quickly, "i have reason to firmly believe that coughing blood is no minor setback." I was certain of this. It's name i could not remember, but most called it the 'red hack' for slang. Everyone who i'd seen have it, died after three weeks or so of having it. "I've seen it run ragged in Bree and some dwarfish cities, my king. They die so quick."

"I will not die of something so- so foolish!" He swore back and leaned forward in his chair, stifling another hack.

"I will not be the one to bare the bad news." I spat and turned to walk out of the throne room, my head high until he called out.

"I will admit, i am sick. Ill." He said and i stopped dead in my tracks but never turned to face him. "Have they no remedy?" He asked almost with hope... I was sorry to disappoint.

"No." I said with a quieter voice then before and turned to face him, his eyes seeming heavy with a lack of sleep. "Rest, my king. It would be for the best." He simply nodded and sat back in his throne.

"I have one more thing to ask of you." He said, his voice suddenly darker then before. I lifted my head as if to show my attention. "If all fails in my oldest nephews search for a bride before i am..." He stopped abruptly and winced, "dead." The word caused him pain unto it's own. "Then will you promise me that you will keep him in search of a proper bride? A bride that would offer our city protection? Not-the girl?"

I didn't know who the girl was... But i was curious beyond belief. Anyways, what was i to say to a dying man? How could anyone tell an old soul he had no right to guarantee his future? What do you say to the promise if a dying man?

Guilt flooded inside me and he could see the feeling flooding me...

"How could you say no, to a passing king?" He said and my eyes darted up to his, an expression of self pity making my mind spin. But this was wrong... To stop Fili from being with the girl? I knew it wasn't in my heart.

"Exactly." I said, "i can't." He gave me a short smile of gratitude and dismissed me. As i walked out of the room, i shammed myself for being so pitiful. But what do you say to a dying wish?

Thanks for reading this chapter! Don't forget to vote and comment your opinions! Thanks!!!!🗡🗝