Chapter 23: Cloudy Moon

The moon was hanging low in the sky as i snuck my body through the cracks in the front gate to escape into the cool fall air just outside the mountain. As i saw the glowing moon appear from behind a cluster of high trees, i smiled subtlety and waited on a large rock for when Kili would come. He told me this morning in the main hall to meet him here so i could tell him of what i heard with Thorin and we would work out what we've seen. The rock was cold under me and i shivered just slightly as i watched the clouds moving incredibly quickly across the navy sky.

"Your here." A voice said behind me, making me jump just slightly to see Kili's figure standing in the light making me smile. We weren't together, i don't think. We were close i was sure, but i couldn't tell what i was to him as he came and sat beside me on the rock. "And look incredibly cold. Why would you leave the mountain without a jacket, my lady?"

My lady....

"I was in a hurry to leave... I never thought it could be so bitter in the fall." I explained and looked him in his wolf eyes with a small smile.

"Would you like to borrow my jacket?" He offered making me brush him away with a wave. "Well, what did Thorin tell you?"

"Nothing more then you could..." I said, lying but unable to stiffen my guilt of agreeing to such a terrible thing yesterday. "However," i chocked, "he asked me of a favour."

Kili's eye brows raised in curiosity and suspicion. "What would that be?" His voice was stern all of a sudden.

"I'd rather not say." I admitted to him but Kili pestered on.

"You must tell me, Sophia" he said, his eyes narrowing at me and his body fully facing me and catching the moon light. "What did my uncle ask you of?"

"It's not quite that simple." I protested, uncertain of what i'd promised to a dying man. "I promised him i'd do this one thing as he said because what was I supposed to say? It was his final wish, Kili."

"Sophia." His voice was stiff now and made me slump over and drop his gaze, "please." Sighing, i accepted my defeat and hesitantly spoke in a low, guilty voice.

"Thorin had me promise him i'd be sure that Fili provided an heir through a proper dwarven princes." I spoke as I looked at my suddenly interesting toes that sat in my leather shoes. "I know it's quite limiting... Would you be honest and tell me something more?"

I dared not meet his eyes for fear of the worst however, he seemed calm and still. "I can understand that. But what you have promised him is terrible, you know this."

I gave him a nod and kept my eyes low on the ground. "What is her name, Kili." I asked after a few moments of pure silence passed with just a few birds in the far distance.

"Her name is Nural... She is a commoner from the cities in the Iron Hills with a great grace about her. She's stubborn as a bull and is as free as the wind." He seemed almost proud of the girl as he spoke and that aroused questions inside me.

"How did they meet?" I asked with a curiosity.

"Nural works for her father, a letter carrier. She too started to carry the letters to other lands and that led her to Dain where we, as younger boys, lived."

"She still caries the letters?" I asked, then looking up to meet Kili's eyes filled with memories.

"Yes" he smiled, "the two were always off together in the later years as i was off making trouble with my friends."

"There was no girl for you?" I asked with a quirky smirk and nudged his side with my arm.

"No, there was. Her name was Thiv, but she passed of a severe illness." He said as quickly as possible, as if the words pained him. I didn't exactly know what i should say so i sat in silence for a moment as did he.

"How old were you?" I asked, trying to think of something else to say.

"I was just a youth, just thirty years." He replied and stretched out his tired arms before slumping back and catching my eyes in the glimmering moon. ( For those of you who don't know, thats 15 in human years ).

"Im sorry that you lost her." My voice sounded week and my body was filled with sympathy. Perhaps that was why he had tried to save me in the way he did.

"It's no worry." He said under his breath, "I think she would have wanted me to continue on with my life. She knew she was going to die for a long while because she had a heart problem."

I nodded and glanced back over to his eyes, unsure of what I was supposed to say so i just shifted uncomfortably on the cold rock and stared at the passing clouds that gave me an idea, an idea of cutting through my promise with stealth so that everyone could be pleased. I just had to think of that plan-that idea.

Thanks so much love, for reading this! Don't forget to vote🍂🍁