Chapter 26 : Charge

The cracks of the cold wind started hitting my face as soon as I stepped beyond the sheltering rocks of the gate to meet Kili tonight outside the mountain the watch the sunset. I squinted at the alarmingly intense light from the sun that was just a mere few seconds from licking the horizon. Glancing to the other direction, I saw Kili looking at me with a simple smile that seemed to hide the worry that lay deep inside him. For my sake, I was sure he was keeping the smile on his face to shadow me from worrying for his sanity. So much was happening at the moment and unfortunately, we had both gotten tangled up in the messes.

I returned his smile even though it was so unnatural to hold the impatience back. "Your just on time, my lady." He was acting as if nothing was wrong and it bothered me beyond all things.

"I am." I said and sat down beside him on the familiar rock, but I had a desire to do more than watch the sun dip bellow the fields. "We have to do something, you know."

He glanced over at me with eyes of worry and I returned the favour. "What is there to do, Sophia?" He asked while laughing in a monotone voice. "You wish to tear the heart from my brother? Surely your brighter than that and have the sense to know I wouldn't allow it."

I let out an impatient sigh and was prepared to stand up and walk away as he was to what we were facing. "Kili, I made a promise to your uncle."

"But was it the right thing to do?" he said while narrowing his deep eyes to me and I shifted strangely on she rock as I saw how hard Kili was in fact taking this scenario. "Did you make a promise to my uncle or the king?"

"I don't think it matters." I said slowly with confidence in my ways, "I agreed and the poor man is failing so how do you think I could deny him the right to a guaranteed safety to the kingdom he worked so hard to reclaim?"

"So that's all we can do, is it?" He puffed, "Sit back to watch the failure of both of them? Thorin will fail and Fili will either be tricked, happily in love with a woman he loves or be torn away and forced to a dreadful marriage."

"Who's to say it will be dreadful?" I whispered with a spark or hope while running through a list of some dwarven princesses in my mind. It never helped. "I cant go back on my word once he's gone."

"Would you be more comfortable if I was to accompany you?"

"What do you mean?" I cocked my eyebrow to him and tilted my head. Accompany me?

"When you go back on your word." He said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. I gave him a bland stare. "That's the only option I can possibly see, Sophia. What else is there to do?"

"I don't want to do that!" I protested with an exasperated sigh. But I had said that I didn't want to disobey him when he was gone... Wouldn't it be logical to face the truth now? "But then again, if I was to go and tell him otherwise, what would be the consequences with Fili and Nural? I don't want to go back on my word without knowing if I should have to."

"So you wish to learn Nural's truths first then?" he sighed with a stare at the sun that I hadn't noticed setting away from us. I also hadn't noticed the cold that chilled my fingers to the bone and I found myself shivering at the slight cold.

"Yes." I stated with a simple word and Kili's face twisted from impatience to one I couldn't name.

"Oh my." He smiled and stared down at his feet for a second, "Your quite the person, Sophia." I laughed under my frozen breath and looked over to him and smiled a bright smile. It was almost one I'd call cheerful.

Thanks so much for reading this chapter guys! I'm actually very thankful for your support and right now I'm working to finish this up for the second time. The reason I actually decided to continue this was because I just wasn't satisfied with the ending where I had Sophia die by the attacks of Trolls. I felt it made her look weak and it just wasn't the way to end the series so I started fantasizing about an alternate needing, found my heading and just started writing. While doing this, I actually changed a great deal of details from the older chapters so the romance would develop more slowly, therefor the most realistic I could manage.

Again I just want to thank you all for reading and don't forget to vote!!!!