Chapter 17: Promises

I cough a glimpse of movement over in the city of Dale... It seemed to resemble a bright red fire, hidden between two walls but i could see it well enough. Without taking my eyes off the fire, i had a urge to find out what it was inside me. I was certainly not in the mood to run or walk to Dale from here after my spurt of crying so i swiftly mounted the horse. I swung my leg over and brushed its main. "Let us ride." I whispered softly to its ear and then gave the reins a tug. Before i knew it, we were off and i felt every bit of freedom in the world with the wind in my hair as i crouched into the horse. The stinging behind my eyes gradually disappeared as i indulged in the feeling of the horse.

When we pulled up slowly to the city, i steered her into the gates. She trotted slowly around the corners as i kept my eyes peeled for the fire.

My hand was resting on the handle of my new bow, that was bigger than i was used to. Then, a flicker of light came into view so i stopped the white horse. I bounced quietly of it and to the side of the wall. Unknowing of what rested just a few meters away from me, i slipped the long and awkward bow into my hands and held it up, struggling to at least. I reached back for an arrow and gripped it's soft feathers. Adrenaline started to set into my body as i took a deep silent breath.

I shuffled over closer and kept myself hidden. I left the horse standing as quiet as possible and tried to ignore that if i was to try to use this bow, I wouldn't hit the target at all because it was almost as tall as me, seeing it was an elf bow, and a rather large one even for them.

Just around the corner the fire crackled with some puffs of smoke pilling into the air. I exhaled and peeked around the corner. I just managed to sneak a glimpse of the thing.

"For goodness sake Kili!" I threw Legolas's bow down next to me. "You gave me a terrible scare!" I realized that it was Kili. A sting sent butterflies through my stomach and i looked away from him.

"What are you doing here?" He looked around me until he saw the massive bow, "why do you have that?" He motioned to it.

"I... Found it." I said, still not meeting his eyes. I felt sick all of a sudden.

He gave me a glare and then got up from next to the fire to walk closer to me. "Why are you here?" I shivered at his presence.

"I decided to go outside for a minute eager to see the sun and then i saw a horse. I found a bow and some weapons on it so.... So i decided to take a look. I quickly recognized it as Legolas's." I leaned back at the last remark, praying he wouldn't notice i said it.

"Why is Legolas here?" He stepped back and furrowed his eye brows suspiciously.

"I do not know... I saw him in the mountain, but he would not stop to speak with me", i forced out the words even though they stung a bit inside. Kili's face relaxed at that remark and i reached for the large bow i dropped, running my fingers over the wood.

"Why do you have his things?" He paused, "and his horse?"

"I needed to get to the fire quickly so i took them..." I bent over to grab the bow in my hands and pull it back for a shot. I thought it might have been a goblin on it's own? From the attack? I set my eye on a target and clumsily just missed it. "Its not like i could have defended my self with this bow though and these blades are going a bit blunt. Well, why are you here?"

"I came out so i could escape for a while, it looks as though my plan has failed" a light chuckle slipped from his lips. I saw his blazing smile that impressed everyone he met and the way that he carried himself through life... Any Dwarf would follow him and perhaps Thorin was always right that i should never be with him... This flood of regretful emotions washed over me like a wave and couldn't wake up. Neither of us spoke for the longest time. A terrible silence hung around us.

"Sophia?" He saw my thoughts from his eyes and i knew i was going to miss him if i was to leave him... "Are you-"

"Fine. Im fine." I reassured him as i took his hand in mine. Would i leave? NO! But... What if i did? What would happen? Would he forget me? Would he be a wonderful next in line? Would Fili even give him the throne? I knew i would leave. I should have never came to restore this love, that i cannot have.

I should leave... Go back to the place from once i came... Mordor.

"Sophia?" He repeated. "Im sorry." He let his words form on the tip of his tongue but said nothing more. My heart stopped for just a moment as i let my eyes look up to his. They were sincere and reflective to the small fire beside my feet. "Im so so sorry."

"For what?" I said dully.

"For lying to you. I did it because i though there was a chance that Thorin would disapprove. While he does disapprove a small bit, he is sure I'm just second in line. Nothing will happen to Fili. Nothing." He spoke with a small voice, almost with care.

"Im glad to know you care, my Prince." That was all i could think as my heart sped up and the knot inside me grew. "Im very glad."

With that, Kili's face relaxed and i he stepped just an inch closer, laying the smallest most graceful kiss on my forehead.

A slight faint gasp escaped my lips and i soon regretted letting him do so.

I hadn't changed my mind and wouldn't change my mind. I was going to Mordor. Guilt mixed inside me as he shakily lowered his lips from my forehead, looking me in the eyes. He could see me shiver i knew and the dark red spread across my whole face.

Or was it the guilt?
Im going. Im leaving.
Its for the better.
Im not returning.

Goodbye. I whispered in my head as he slowly pressed his lips to mine, a hot wave running over me, forcing my hands to lay on his chest as he placed the softest kisses on my lips.

Ouuuuu!!!! Do you like the cliff hangers? Or Naw? Please tell me!!!!!