Chapter 24: Brown Bags

When i went to sleep last night after staying out in the cold night's air, i dreamt of something terrible. There was a sick child who was in need of my help on the streets of Bree. It was crying but each time i tried to pick up the child a man screamed at me to stop, he hit me once too. I screamed so loudly at the man that the child ran away into the forest and was never to be seen again. It was blurry, dark and bone chilling as the pained child wailed out and the man smacked me to the ground with a hard fist and i fell don't to the hard ground in an old tavern. Where there people laughing as well? I couldn't quite remember.

When i left the room, i decided to find Kili and ask him if i could meet the girl-Nural when she cane with the letters. After i found him with some random dwarves sitting around a large table in a strange wing of the mountain, he whispered in my ear that she should come in a matter of days and that when she did arrive, to be ready. If i was fortunate enough, i might have a few minutes of her time away from Fili in the single day every few months she came here.

As i travelled back to my room so that i could read a novel of some sort to fill the time of my utter and complete boredom, i bumped into a rather tall dwarf, her eyes bright green and freckled lining her slim cheeks.

"Im so sorry!" I said as a stepped around her getting a fine look at her features.

"Oh, it's no worry." She said and continued on her way but i felt some recognition to those features.

"Wait." I spoke out as i walked up to her side and she stopped walking turning to face me, her face slightly confused. "Trista?"  Her facial expression changed as she narrowed her eyes at me as if to examine my own face.

"Sophia." She said in a clam voice before lifting and kind hand to my shoulder. Trista was an old friend of mine for just a few months when i lived with Mr. Butterbur. She had been traveling with her brothers Trance and Trawl on a short journey to see their mother in The Iron Hills.

Our acquaintance grew as she stayed in the tavern hotel and we spent many days walking together in the heart of the town.

"How have you been?" I asked with a growing smile, "why are you here?"

"I could ask the same to you!" She smiled back, "i've been feeling wondrously."

"Why are you in Erebor?" I questioned with bright eyes as we stood together in the hall. "Im here because this is my home now, Trista." The words felt strange and familiar on my tongue.

"Oh..." I noticed how uncomfortable she seemed now, with her hands behind her back and her eyes strangely looking around us. Then, i noticed the large brown bag slung over Trista's shoulder with lumps and ripples that filled it.

"What is that?" I spoke as i glanced over her tall shoulder to get a closer look at the light brown bag. Strange...

"Oh?" She said, "this?" As if she had no idea herself. "Err... Papers."

"What kind?" I questioned and leaned forward unable to keep to myself on my old friends business in my new home.

"Oh, you know." She was very nervous... It set me off edge and i held back the urge to reach up and grab the sagging bag.

"I hate to be nosy but why on earth are you here? And with a bag of papers might i ask?" It almost sounded foolish but i said the words with confidence.

With that, she reached out a slender hand and held my wrist before looking around her and then dragging me along down the corridor. What on earth? I willingly followed because wherever she was leading me, I suppose the answer to my questions would follow. As we stopped walking, we stood in the corner of a room with only one other dwarf inside it that sat down on a bench with a set of crochet. Her whole being was fixated on the needle work.

"In the bag i have about one hundred letters." She said in a hushed voice against the wall. A letter carrier?

"Why do you have letters, Trista?" I asked, this whole thing making me a touch confused but she could very well be a letter carrier for the Iron Hills. She myst have gotten an employment.

"You shouldn't call me Trista here." What? Why not? Was that not her real name?

"Whats wrong with your name." I laughed and gave her a look of uncertainty. I was starting to formulate a new idea in my mind. I didn't like it one bit.

"The people here like to call me Nural." She said in a lower voice and took my hands, "you wouldn't mind calling me Nural just for them, would you?" She assured me but i looked at her with my eyes narrowed and my lips pressed into a fine line...

"Yes, Nural... That shouldn't be a problem." I cussed myself for not asking more questions.

Thanks for reading this chapter! I realize its been a while but I'm just a bit caught up in school work at the moment so thanks for reading and don't forget to vote🍁