Chapter 25: Chase

When night fell upon Erebor, if you were inside one of the hundreds of long corridors—no thousands—you had no chance of seeing the sun set across the horizon just outside the magnificent kingdom under the mountain. So when sun set today, i knew i would be standing on top of the brand new gate to look out over the plains along with the city that would be scattered with fire light to the orange glowing sunset with Kili. Yesterday evening was brilliant and i wanted to do so again but for the moment, Trista—no Nural—was who i needed to spend time with. After we walked around the castle giving out letters and talking about so many things, one subject wouldn't be heard of. Her romance. At least two or three times i tried to make her admit her love but she was excellent at changing the topic.

But once the last letter was delivered, i knew where she would go and exactly what she would do. So, i decided on following her but not to be seen as she visited her beloved prince. I couldn't help but find a simple emotion of dislike rise up from under me when she spoke because of how i knew she was a liar. To me? Or to them? Or even to both of us? Crossing my arms in frustration, i waited for her around a corner to give up talking to some random woman who greeted her while she was promptly on her way to go see the prince.

She knew where he was because she was heading to his quarters. The path was strange and the only reason i knew where Fili's quarters where is because Kili's where across from his brother's.

The only time i'd gone into Kili's rooms was a few days ago when Kili couldn't find his specific boots before he went to go out hunting on his own for an hour of so.

Things between us haven't gotten very intimate yet but honestly, it's not a topic i have actually had the time to think of. Now with the king's illness, Nural, the promise, and Fili's intimacy, it hasnt been on my mind for more than a few moments.

When Nural finally left her with a small wave of her hand, she hurried along her path without any pause right down to Fili's rooms. Thank god i had been completely silent or she would have seen me as i came around the corners. As she came up on the door, she barely brushed her hand on the wooden door before it was swinging open, a smile slipping across her face.

"Hello." Fili's voice said in a milky tone that made Nural smile even more, her face lit up like the night sky.

"Hello." She said between a shaky laugh as Fili's hand came past the door frame to brush her long hair from the side of her face. She melted to his gentle touch and he quickly brought his other hand to her gentle fingers giving her a tug into the room. I almost found myself inching forward to the door when it closed behind them but realized it was no use. What else was there to see? Or hear?

Thinking about it for just a short moment, i decided to turn back to the main hall to see if i could find Kili. But wait... Could Kili be i his own chambers?

In a swift decision, i turned again to the two opposing doors but planted myself before the door on the right this time. Exhaling in a quick breath as if to prepare myself, i lifted a fist to the door and gave it three fast knocks. To my surprise, i could hear a shift in the room, the brushes of fabric and then the close of a book.

Then, the wooden door swung open revealing a flustered Kili. His eyes lit up as he saw me and he leaned on his right side with a curious look on his face.

"You remembered your way to my chambers?" He said with a questioning tone in his voice that made me sway to my heals. "Well, you must know the castle quite well now."

"Thats not what i came here for." I said with a sigh in the door frame, "I wanted to tell you something that you will find important."

Kili raised one of his eyebrows, "Is it about...."

"Yes." I responded with a nod and he stepped back, motioning for me to enter. The room was just as i remember it except a little more messy with three old-looking books laid on his grand four post bed. The coverings looked soft but i simply walked forward into the room to be polite.

The door shut behind us and Kili walked past me to a small table with two chairs opposing each other. When we sat down he sat back in his chair with a straight face.

"This news?" He said with a tilt of his head. I then noticed how attractive his face unto its own was with its bold lines and handsome features that reminded me of those of a human or perhaps, even an elf. He noticed the way i looked at him and raised his eyebrows with a quirk and i could tell he resisted a smirk from lingering across his lips.

"Yes." I shook myself from the inside out and began to explain the whole ordeal starting with how i knew the girl named Trista in Bree. Kili seemed completely and utterly confused by the time i ended and he had his eyes narrowed on me with an unreadable facial expression.

"And she's with my brother right now?" He said in disbelief and a hint of anger that made me shiver. The sight of his protectiveness—even if it wasn't for me—made a spark turn to fire deep in my stomach. "And you've no idea who she is?"

I shook my head and he looked around the room in disbelief. "I surely hope your story is true." I said, "the one that told of Nural being the girl from the Iron Hills who fell in love with the prince. One of the many girls you grew up with."

"I think that it is." He said with a nod, "but thats not what worries me now. It's that she had multiple identities. She lied to you and continues to lie."

We could only sit in silence then. The though and confusion had to be cleared before the timer stopped ticking. For me, that timer remained to be my king's heart that i dreaded it's infinite silence.