Chapter One: Jeric

The Blood Sword

© 2014 Cheri Jones

Acknowledgements:

To my friends and family who have always believed in me.

To my big sister Angie, for making me believe in myself

To my mother, my biggest fan

I love you all.

Jeric Silver stood in confusion as he studied the massive old brick warehouse before him. The building and road had several signs posted warning trespassers were not welcome, and would be prosecuted if they did not stay away. It had been the perfect meeting place for his private business. Located on a hidden road in a secluded area, Jeric had seen no sign of anyone every coming here since he discovered it six months ago. The multiple windows were intact and unbroken letting him know that even the local vandals did not know of this place.

Today something was different. There were no other cars on this side of the building, however a dim flickering light could be seen from the windows. The distant sound of metal striking metal rang from somewhere inside.

"Sir," A deep male voice came from behind him. 'would you like me to go Investigate?'

'No,' Jeric told his assistant William. 'I wish to see for myself who is in there. Take the car to its normal hiding spot. Then walk the perimeter and see if there are any cars on the other side of the building. How long until Clover is due?'

'We have a little over an hour. Knowing Clover, he will be late yet again.' William's voice oozed disgust that made Jeric smile. William was an amazing assistant and never said a word good or bad against any of Jeric's clients with the exception of Clover. The man was a disgusting pig that did not bathe often and had horrible halitosis. Clover hated William as much as William was disgusted with Clover. Jeric was sure the man's growing tardiness was for Williams benefit.

'Find me when you finish your task.' Once William left him, Jeric went to the side of the building where there was a massive steel security door painted fire truck red. When he had first found this place, the door had been locked closed with a high-end locking system. It took two of his best specialist to get it open. He used his special key, unlocked the door, and then slipped inside.

The hammering was much louder inside the building. He stayed motionless and glanced around. The light was not as bright as he thought it would be. It was not at all well lit on this side of the building. Some of light he had seen outside was coming from a few hanging lights from the ceiling. There was no second story. The massive rectangular building had an open floor plan other than several thick concrete supports spread out. He could not see down to the other end of the building without exposing himself, but he was sure the flickering light and hammering were coming from there. Staying against the wall and keeping hidden he moved closer to the source of the hammering.

He froze when the banging stopped. What sounded like a great monster breathing hard replaced the sound of the hammer. He frowned in confusion as he wiped the sweat from his forehead. It was hot in here today. Every time he had come to the warehouse before, it was damp and chilly in the huge open space. He kept going and noticed the light near the front of the warehouse was not from electric lights. It looked like it was coming from a contained fire. He moved around a thick support pillar and stopped unsure if he could believe what he was seeing.