Chapter Forty-One: Hunter

Hunter crossed her fingers before shoving the new sword into the tub of water. It hissed and sizzled. After a few minutes, Hunter pulled the blade from the barrel and studied it. It was straight and the blade flawless. Hunter could not contain her smile. The effort she had put in this last month trying to figure out how to forge weapons from black steel was all worth it now.

'Success?' she looked over to see Ty standing next to her.

'So far so good. I need to see if I can sharpen it cold and if it will polish.' She said looking back to the blade. 'I am hoping it's not like the red steel and needs to be sharpened hot. I love Justice, she is a part of me, but I got a lot of burns sharpening her.' She shook her head. 'Blood swords definitely earned their names.' Ty nodded and kissed her neck.

'Did you eat those sandwiches I made?' he asked hugging her back to him and rubbing her belly.

'Yes I did.' She turned her head and kissed him. 'Thank you love. They hit the spot.' She then looked back to the sword. 'If this works, it will be a badass looking weapon.' Ty nodded

'Taki says you have been at it for the last three hours, come eat something.' He said pulling her toward the door. Hunter chuckled. She left the blade on her workbench and followed him to the kitchen. Taki joined her at the table and told her Tray's message. Hunter nodded.

'It will be good to have Joe back.' She said. 'I miss him. He is one of the few people I can talk to about the Samurai and our ways.' Ty nodded his agreement.

'I just hope the other clan leaders follow your lead and allow their people into the organization.' He said with a frown, 'It will increase our success rate.'

'There is talk of a few Shinobi wanting to sign on.' Taki said. 'After I sent in my first report, I got a few messages from my old set and a few others asking if there was a place for them.'

'I cannot say I blame them' Hunter said. The School's shinobi are good people. Out in the world the only ones who would want their services are evil twisted freaks. Being stuck at the school on guard duty is enough to drive anyone nuts.' Taki nodded his agreement.

'I was going borderline crazy until given this assignment.' Taki admitted. 'All my poor set had to do was watch the wall or run messages. It is not what we are meant to be doing. I spoke to your Sam, and he told me of the organizations undercover program. They send people in to bad places to gather intel on base structures and defenses. I told him it would be ideal work for the Shinobi.' Hunter nodded her agreement.

'You are welcome to sign on Taki. I give you permission. I am safe here in the base, and once I am at the school, well,' Hunter shrugged 'can you imagine anyone being insane enough to show up there to attack me?' The two men chuckled at the thought. 'Besides, my biggest threat is rotting down stairs.'

'If you are sure,' Taki said still sounding reluctant.

'Go.' Hunter ordered in a tone not to be questioned. Taki nodded with a smile. 'I am glad Sam talked to you first. I planned to suggest it myself. Guard duty watching me work is a major waste of your talent and pointless here.'

'I was too.' Ty chuckled. Taki laughed standing.

'Alright, alright, I can take a hint.' He said smiling at Hunter. 'Just let me know how that sword turns out.'

'You will know.' Hunter said. 'It's for you.' He flinched shocked making her smile. 'I know you have your father's sword.' She shook her head 'I saw it when my father repaired it the last time. It is weakened every time he refolded it instead of getting stronger. It needs to be retired.'