Chapter Forty-Three: Hunter

Hunter took her spot in the hall of the court. She noticed the Idia spot was empty. Ty was at her right refusing to leave her side. Once the hall was full, Isao stood before them all and told them everything. Hunter frowned seeing how rough the Isao was looking. It was the first time in her life she ever saw him as an old man. It was clear the stress of finding out what had happened had been wearing on him. She swore to herself she would do something nice for the Isao when this was finished and over with. Just to show him how much she appreciated all he had done. The whole court burst out in exclamations of shock and denial at the charges against such a high member of the court. Silence fell in a great wave when the shinobi escorted the Idia into the room. His head was down.

'Explain now.' Isao said. Idia looked to Hunter and no one else.

'Eric was my friend.' The man said. 'I thought of him as a brother and loved him. He called me and told me the doctor said he could bear no children. He was ready to take his life out of sorrow, but I talked him out of it. I told him I would see if I could find someone for him to train. A young apprentice he could raise as his own.' He sighed 'My people found an old woman in Scotland who had lavender eyes. Just like Emiko had. We traced her family and found a link to the Maruyama clan. We found Megan Campbell in college. She was the eldest child of the line and our last hope as a candidate to be Takeda.' He shook his head 'After meeting her however I knew she was not suited and had no sense of her history.

'I realized I would have to find a young child who could be taught from the start. I kept looking. There were a few but none suitable. Then I received word that Megan married and took the name Ross. She had a child who was at the time two years old. You Hunter. I went to see you. The moment I lay my eyes on you I knew you were to be the new Takeda. Your eyes and the fact you were hammering a lump of clay into a knife verified it. I sent the Kataki and two of his men to retrieve you and place you into Eric's care.' He frowned. 'I am sorry for the sorrow your true parents felt, however I do not regret my actions. The Takeda clan needed an heir. I did what needed to be done.' Hunter stood.

'Did you bother to ask my parents if I could train as an heir?' Hunter asked. 'Did you stop for two seconds to think, instead of destroying my family's lives by kidnaping me? You could have saved everyone from pain by simply asking.' Hunter's eyes narrowed in rage. 'My parents would have allowed it!' she yelled drawing Justice. 'They would have agreed to let me train with Eric! You ruined their lives for nothing!' she pointed her sword at Idia. Its tip a hair's length from him adam's apple 'You were my father's friend.' She said calmer. 'His brother in arms whom he loved as a blood brother. Do you think, for one moment he would have approved of what you have done?' Idia closed his eyes shaking his head no. 'On that love my father had for you, I will not claim your life Idia. It will fix nothing to spill your blood and deny the Idia clan of its greatest clan leader in a hundred years. I will however demand retribution for my family. You owe them six lifetimes of service. One for each of their children, one for each of them, and one for Eric, whose trust you betray.' He bow and Hunter moved the sword to keep from cutting him.

'As you wish Takeda, so it will be. My clan is theirs to command.' Idia said.

'Good, to start, protection from my enemies.' Hunter said. 'Those who want me dead, may try to get to my family to hurt me.'

'It will be done. None shall harm them.' Idia said. Hunter sheath her sword, and then glared around the room to the others. 'Since I was a child, some of you have treated me like dung. I heard the whispers and insults about the lanky white urchin of the Takeda clan. How I would drag the clan's honor through the dirt and mud because I was not a blood heir.' She pulled up her sleeve showing the mark of the Maruyama clan and her own swords stamp under it a silver phoenix. 'I am the direct descendent to Emiko Maruyama. Her blood runs through my veins. Any who challenges this may step forward now and I will prove it by spilling your blood on the floor.' She glared at them all, but one stood. The Kase step off his seat and Idia went to his.