Chapter Sixty-One: Hunter

Hunter entered the house for the first time in a month. She had Katara on her back giving her a piggyback ride. Hiro flew past them and Katara squirmed to get down. Hunter chuckled and set her on the floor. She ran after her brother.

'Not in the living room.' She warned them. The two stopped and looked to her. She pointed to the door to the right.

'Ok momma.' They said in unison and went into the playroom. Hunter shook her head and went back out to the truck. Ty was unloading there bags. She helped him.

'Where did the kids go?' he asked

'In the playroom burning off all the energy they saved up from being trapped in their car seats for three hours. Ty nodded chuckling. A black SUV pulled up the driveway and Hunter recognized it as Joe's truck. It pulled in behind their truck and Joe and a woman they did not recognize got out. As they approached, Hunter took a good look at her. The older black woman moved with a great deal of grace even though she limped favoring her left leg. Hunter knew the woman was scary just from in the way she moved. Her dark brown eyes lit with amusement as they stopped before the two.

'Evaluating me Lieutenant?' She asked with a southern accent. Hunter gave her a half smile.

'Don't take it personally.' She told her. 'I do it with everyone I don't know.' The woman smiled nodding.

'Welcome back you two.' Joe greeted giving them each a hug. 'Hunter, Ty, this is Commander Amy Brooks. Commander, this is the Takeda family. Hunter is team leader to team two of the phantom squad.' The woman shook their hands.

'It is a pleasure to meet you two.' She looked to Hunter. 'Your reputation as a smith has reached me all the way in Japan. Kimi Nakahara sends her respect.' Hunter smiled

'How is the Nakahara these days?' Ty asked

'She is good. She and her clan have been working with the Japanese base. They will not join, but they accept missions from us.' Amy said then frowned. 'She also asked me to tell you, the Kase approached her a few weeks ago. Was talking about choosing the right side when the time came. She said you would know that that meant and that her side was with you.' Hunter closed her eyes and swore.

'Damn it.' She muttered. 'I was hoping that damn stupid fool would back the hell off for good.'

'What's this mean?' Joe asked worried.

'It's war.' Ty said with a frown. 'The Kase house hates the Takeda. They have been jealous of their accomplishments for centuries. We thought we beat some sense into them and sent them crying to their mommies, but I guess they have bigger balls than we thought.' He looked to Hunter. 'Off to Japan?' Hunter nodded with a frown. She pulled out her cell phone and dialed a number.

'It's the Takeda, I am requesting a court. The Kase has declared open war with the clan. I mean to put an end to it once and for all.' She listened to the person on the other end for a moment. She glanced at Joe and Amy. 'No, put that other matter to rest. It is over for the moment. Call our people home. If they cannot make it that is fine. I am opening a personal challenge and we may not need to all fight. Alright, I will see you then.' She hung up then put their bags back into the car.

'Who was that?' Amy asked confused.

'My house manager.' Hunter replied. 'When I am not at the Takeda house in the school, Mookie is my voice.' Amy looked confused.

'It is a long story.' Joe told her, and then looked to Hunter. 'Are you taking the kids?'

'No.' Ty said. 'Katara is the new Takeda if anything happens to Hunter. She and her brother need to be kept as far away from this a possible. We will take them to their grandparent's house. They were just talking about wanting to see them more often.' Hunter nodded her agreement then look to Joe.