Chapter Fifty-Five: Hunter

She woke to a horrible pain in her shoulders. She realized she was hanging by her wrist and stood easing the pressure. Gillian and a man she did not know stood before her watching her.

'So you are the woman our little brother is obsessed with.' The man said. Hunter frowned confused 'Let me introduce myself. I am Roman Silver. Jeric's older brother.' Hunter scowled. 'You have already met my little sister Gillian Silver.' He motioned to Gillian. 'Jeric called me a few months ago to help get you from the safety of your base. It took me a great deal of time and effort to slip Gillian into the folds of the organization undetected. You were supposed to pick her for your team.' He punched her hard in the ribs. 'But you fucked that part up.'

'Yes,' Gillian said nodding. 'I was going to take you on a mission, but since you overlooked me for that nigger, I had to take you from the base.' She got a cold smile. 'Of course to get past security I had to make a little distraction.' Roman chuckled shaking his head.

'You call that little?' he said with a smile. 'Baby sister, I saw the explosion on the satellite.' Hunter frowned not liking the sounds of this.

'Well, that twit Joe had so many lovely toys in the armory just sitting there collecting dust. I had to put them to use.' She said then smiled to Hunter. 'I would not expect a rescue anytime soon. Your base and that town are pretty much a crater in the ground. The other bases will be too busy trying to figure out what happened, to worry about you.'

Hunter paled her eyes going wide. She shook her head in disbelief. They could not have destroyed the base. It could not be true. They had to be lying.

'Ahh,' Roman chuckled. 'Poor baby is in denial.' He punched her hard again and this time she did not even flinch. The news they had delivered numbed her to everything. 'Do not worry. Your pain will not last too long. My brother wants you, and I am sick to death of his obsessions.' Roman punched her again in the ribs. However, she did not respond.

Hunters mind was lost to shock. Her parents and brothers had been in town. They were staying in the house across from her store where Harry and Phil had been working today. If these two were telling the truth, then they were dead. Her whole family gone in a blink. Her husband and two beautiful happy children.

'I think we may have broken her brother.' Gillian said disappointed.

'Yes I believe you may be right.' Roman said with a frown. 'I planned to kill her to help Jeric get his head back into the game, but this will be no fun if she is just going to stand there looking miserable.'

'Well.' Gillian said 'She is a samurai. One who failed miserably in her duty to protect her master, her husband, kids, and everyone else at base seven.' Gillian held up Justice wiggling it in front of Hunter's face. 'Just one thing for a failed samurai to do isn't there? What was it you peopled called killing yourselves, falling on you sword?'

'Well,' Roman said nodding. 'Seems logical. Let us leave her to it my sister.' Gillian dropped the sword to the ground then the two left the cell. Roman pulled a switch on the other side of the cell door and the chains holding her released her. Hunter stood there with her head lowered tears falling down her cheeks. She fell to her knees with Justice before her.

Her mind was awash with grief and sadness. She closed her eyes picturing the faces of her friends and family. The hours spent in the forge with Ty as she taught him the art of smithing. Growing closer day by day and learning the joy of each other's bodies.

The day the twins came screaming into the world. She had been so sore and tired, but the moment the midwife handed her, her children, all the pain was washed away.

She remembered the look of pure joy on Ty's face when she told the council she was with child. Then there was Joe and Sam. The two men who were supposed to be her bosses, but were more like big brothers.

Harry with his love for kimonos and exuberant over reactions to almost every situation. Phil, who was so big and strong, but had the softest heart. Justin with his endless desire to learn all there was to learn about silversmithing. Her father, mother, and brothers, She was just getting to know them, and loved all of them. Taki who was supposed to be a sworn shinobi and protector of her children, but he was her best friend and she loved him like a brother. Even her poor team who was as close to her as family.

Hunter's hand closed around Justice's handle. They were all gone. She would never see their smiles again. Never hear their laughter or silly jokes. She drew the blade and it flashed red. The kanji with the swords name stuck out. Her eyes narrowed as she stared at it. Every one of her friends and family were forced from her. Her heart burned with pain, and those who caused that pain had made one massive mistake. They thought the grief of loss would drive her to fall on her sword. They were wrong.

Hunter gripped the handle of Justice and stood. Roman's eyes widened as she advanced to the cell door that stood between them. She struck the lock with Justice and the red steel bit though the door as if it were made of paper. She kicked it open and drove justice deep into Roman's gut twisting the blade as it slid into his flesh. His mouth opened as if to say something but nothing came out. Something tugged at Hunter's arm and she turned to see Gillian pointing a gun at her. Hunter pulled her sword free and slashed at the woman before she could get a shot off.

Gillian screamed as she fell to the floor clutching her forearm. The hand she had held the gun with was sent spinning down the hallway. Men rushed in from a door near the end of the hall and Hunter charged them roaring her rage. She cut her way through one after another not intending to stop until she killed them all, or they killed her. They would all pay for making her heart hurt this much.

An hour later Hunter sat on her knees breathing hard. She was covered head to toe with the blood of her enemies and Justice was dripping and covered with unidentifiable parts. She looked up at the sound of a twig snapping. A shinobi stood there his eyes full of worry.

'Takeda?' He asked watching her close. Hunter noticed he was keeping back out of her reach. He probably thought she had lost her mind. Maybe she had. Maybe this is what madness was like. It was just a shame she still felt the pain of loss. 'I am with base seven.' He said squatting down. Base seven was gone. She thought. She then wondered if he knew. Did he have family there as well? Would she have to be the one to tell him they were all dead? 'Joe sent us all out to find you.' He said cocking his head

'Joe?' she asked her voice coming out a soft whisper 'He's dead. They are all dead. That bitch blew them up.' The shinobi frowned confused, then his eyes widened in shock.

'No Takeda.' He said worried 'She lied. The base is fine.' Hunter shook her head not allowing herself to believe it. He did not know yet. He would find out soon enough. She stood on shaky legs.

'Just leave me be.' She told him then turned away heading down a road not sure, where it will take her or even caring. Justice felt heavy in her hand. She looked down at the sword. What was the point of going anywhere? Perhaps she should just fall on her blade and finish it. At least the pain of death may distract her from the pain of life.

'Takeda please,' the shinobi begged. Hunter stopped and looked to him annoyed 'Please let me prove to you it was a lie.' He held up a cell phone. He pressed a button and the phone dilled. It rang for a moment then Joe's voice came over the speaker loud and clear.

'Eiji, did you find any sign of her?' He asked worried. At the sound of her friend's voice, Hunter fell to her knees fighting against the flood of hope she felt.

'Yes Joe, she is here. They told her they destroyed seven and you were all dead. She killed everyone, but does not believe me when I tell her you all live.'

'Let me talk to her.' Joe said panicked.

'You are on speaker phone. She can hear you.' Eiji said.

'Hunter,' Joe said 'We are all fine. The base is fine. Gillian set up some explosives but the base's security detected them and disarmed everything. They lied Hunter. We are all fine. Ty and the kids are here. Hold on.' There was a pause

'Love are you alright?' The sound of Ty's voice over the speaker sent aflood of tears from her eyes. All of a sudden she felt very weak and fell limpto the ground.