The Stark Truth

Dèvon and Leon both groaned as they were defeated for the tenth time in a row. The sun had already receded into the comfort of the night's darkness yet they were still in the park battling Lucas and Ashton. Sho and Jin had gone home hours before leaving the two pairs of siblings to get acquainted with one another.

"Man! This is so frustrating! They're ridiculously strong!" Leon growled. Dèvon nodded in agreement before sitting on the bench next to Ashton.

"Now I really need to thank you, Ashton. If you hadn't forfeited we would've lost outright..." Dèvon sighed. Lucas snorted and rolled his eyes.

"Of course you would've! You're just amateurs anyways." He taunted. Dèvon hopped to her feet and got in his face.

"Whats your problem?! This whole time you've just been coming for us! For me!" She snapped jabbing his chest with her finger. He stared at her in surprise before cupping her chin and leaning in.

"I just have a thing for a fierce girl with a little spic—!" He was cut short when Dèvon slapped his hand away then connected her knee with his groin. He doubled over and groaned. Leon snorted with laughter while Ashton shook his head.

"Looks like she's a little too much spice for you eh buddy?! HAHA!! That's my girl!"

"Lucas, Thats not how you treat a lady..." Ashton chuckled turning his face away to hide his smile, "I'm very sorry for my brother's behavior. He doesn't know how to communicate with respectable ladies. He's used to have girls fawn over him."

"Well he'd better learn. Next time I won't go so easy on him." She huffed glaring down at him before scampering over to a nearby vending machine and buying drinks for all of them. Once Lucas recovered, they all sat in the grass and listened to the sound of the crisp night air weaving through the trees.

"This is really peaceful. Destection city is glorious!" Ashton marveled closing his eyes and inhaling deeply. Lucas humphed and took a sip of his drink. However, he too was astonished by its beauty in the night even though he wouldn't admit it. From their spot on the hilltop in the park, the stars glistened in the reflection of the lake making it appear as if they were falling into the sky.

"Hey uh... You guys wanna get something to eat?" Lucas offered rising to his feet. Leon, who was laying on his back dozing off, peeked one eye open. He sneered with amusement.

"You sure your boss lady would be okay with you fraternizing with the enemy, Lukey?" He teased. Lucas glowered at him.

"Don't call me that, Lion."

"ITS LEON!"

"Dinner sounds great! Right Ashton?!" Dèvon cut in stretching and looking at him for approval. He couldn't help but notice how vividly her emerald eyes shined through the blanket of darkness like lanterns.

"Absolutely! I assume that since you offered that means you're paying big brother?" Ashton coaxed. Lucas pouted childishly and looked away.

"Well Fierce paid for our drinks and they battled with us like we wanted so I have no qualms about treating the runts to dinner."

"RUNTS?!" The Fierce siblings growled in unison ready to pounce on him. Ashton's shoulders sagged.

"It never ends..."
_______________________

Ashton and Dèvon watched as their older brothers sucked up their ramen noodles like human vacuums. They each had a stack of half a dozen bowls beside them on the table.

"MORE!" The two barked to the waitress. She nodded shakily and took flight back to the kitchen. They were in a heated competition and their eyes sparkled with the intensity of rivalry. It appeared as if a new friendship had blossomed from their competitive natures. Ashton looked around at all the bowls in dismay. He and Dèvon had just finished their first.