Sho's Mom

As a mother, you know when your children act differently. Its an innate sixth sense that only a mother can have. You know when something's wrong or if something is bothering them. From the moment they walk through that front door you can tell if they had a good day by the way they say "Mom! I'm home!"

When Sho walked through the door, the way he threw his bag aside, the upbeat pep in his foot steps, the way he walked past her in the kitchen and casually grabbed an apple before biting into it with a satisfied crunch assuring its freshness. She knew something about her boy had changed. She just wasn't sure what yet...

"Hey honey. How was your day? You're in pretty late this afternoon." She noted. Sho continued to devour the apple only giving her a hum in agreement. This hum however was jovial and content.

"Anything eventful happen?" She asked pushing a little. Sho paused slightly before swallowing his mouthful. His deep blue eyes were glittering with anticipation.

"We formed a bey team today! The four of us!" He told her excitedly. She smiled knowing just how passionate her boy was about Beywheeling.

"Oh, that's right! You and your little friends Leo, Jin and-.... Wait... Who's the fourth?" She asked furrowing her brows in thought. 

She noticed Sho's face acquire a slight pinkish tint as he bit into the apple and looked out the kitchen window. His thoughts were suddenly somewhere else, in a far off fantasy.

"Leo's sister, Devon." He answered quickly. His mother was completely slapped in the face by this unexpected comment.

"L-Leon has a sister?" She gasped raising her eyebrows at her son.

"She's super talented. mom! Oh, I wish you could've seen her! The way she bey battles even though she's still a beginner is just so moving! There's something in her eyes that make you feel like you can do anything!

"And speaking of her eyes, they're this intense green that just bore into your soul and gives you chills! B-But when she's not bey battling she's so funny and laid back! Man... She's really something, mom." He sighed collapsing on the couch.

His face had lit up in a way she'd never seen before. Carla felt a tinge of jealousy. This was her little boy. Yet, he beamed like the sun at the mention of this girl. He practically revered her! A mother was always her son's first love. How had someone else had managed to steal his heart away from her so soon?

"How old is she?"

"Shes 12. A year younger than us." He stated before discarding the apple core in the trash and opening the back door.

"Gotta practice for tomorrow!!! Call me when dinner's ready!" He called leaving to the backyard. Carla sighed as she finished washing the dishes. She dried her wet hands on her apron and leaned against the granite counter. She knew this would happen eventually. Now her duty was to meet the girl and scope her out to see if she was worthy of her little Sho.

She sat in silence listening to nothing, but the hum of the washing machine in the next room when an idea struck her. She threw open the back door.

"Sho! Tomorrow, why don't you have a movie night and invite your friends over?"
________________

It all began with the first battle. However, by the end of the day the news about Team Estrella had spread like wildfire. Everyone was either challenging them to a bey battle or eagerly watching from the sidelines cheering their friends on.

Dèvon smiled as she engaged in her fifth battle in a row. Her second day and she'd already acquired a winning streak of her own.

"Let's go, Terra! Finish him off!" She ordered. Her bey rammed her opponent head on sending it flying through the air before it hit the wall and clattered to the ground in defeat. The boy she was battling stared at his bey in shock before smiling and picking it up.