A Bey with a Story

"My previous owner, Somalia was a princess of the great Pharaoh, Aboch. As a princess, you are commanded to do everything your told. Your entire life is decided for you, but in exchange, you receive everything you've ever wanted..." Terra began. The scene shifted to the inside of a grand palace. Dèvon's breath caught in her throat as a young Somalia circled around her legs before continuing down the hall.

"Wow! I can't believe this is happening!" She whispered wide eyed, "Your previous owner must've had the perfect life...!"

"It was a life full of comfort and luxury! However, getting everything she wanted, treasures, jewelry, and gowns made of the most precious silk, eventually she began to fill a hole in her heart steadily growing. All of these material things were unfulfilling. Somalia would've traded it all for the one thing she couldn't have..." Terra trailed off. Devon arched her eyebrows.

"The one thing she couldn't have...? And what was that?"

"Freedom." Terra answered sadly, "She ran away from home when she was a teen by stowing away on a cargo ship near the ports. She didn't know where she was going or what she'd do. All she knew was that she wanted to lead a different life outside of the palace, and thats when she met me."

Trees sprouted from the ground as the scene suddenly changed from the stocks of a ship to a verdant rain forest. A much older Somalia was trekking through the dense foliage alone. All of the sudden, a bolt of lightning rained down from the heavens and struck the spot in front of her. She was blown off her feet landing in a nearby bush. When she finally regained her bearing, she saw Terra lying in the center of the crater in the ground. The girl tentatively picked her up and examined the bey with interest.

"When we beys evolved enough to have our own sentience, we scattered, seeking to find owners worthy of our use. It was just the natural order of things. I happened to end up deep within the forests of Cambodia. I sought out an owner who was strong, independent, and dynamic. It was just my luck that I stumbled onto the perfect wielder. From then on we were inseparable." Terra stated with a soft smile. Dèvon sat indian style and watched everything blur by, all the memories that flashed over her head and dashed past her, with great patience and interest.

"Wow... Kinda like how we met...?" Dèvon noted. Terra's smile brightened.

"Precisely. After years of honing her skills to use me, Somalia learned of a war going on in her homeland. When she was younger, she was betrothed to a prince from the neighboring empire. Being young, she had no idea that her leaving would have detrimental effects on the relations between her father's empire and the other. Ultimately, violent war fell upon the kingdom as they fought endlessly.

"The former prince, now King of the Mericutos empire, wanted a princess that was not there. So he waged war onto the empire with his bey, Black Heart Chimera. He sought to utterly annihilate her father's empire for treason and breaking the treaty. The Pharaoh Aboch was powerless to stop him...."

Dèvon instinctively shielded her face as fire engulfed the entire room. The inferno was accompanied with uproarious war cries and screams of bloodshed. Her expression fell at the sight of the once glorious kingdom now in ruins and tatters. Men were being struck down mercilessly. Mothers and children being kidnapped and taken prisoner, their eyes full of sadness and hopelessness. She sighed and turned away from it all.

"Why did these people have to suffer like this? It wasn't the kingdom's fault that she ran away!" Dèvon cried. Terra lowered her head with sorrow.

"Every decision we make has a positive and negative consequence. Somalia did not consider that her leaving would cause her father's kingdom fall into ruins. In a way, some would consider her running away from her diplomatic duties to be selfish. Others might reason that she had her own destiny to pursue and that she had every right to find herself..."