Dependence - A Hunger Games Fan Fiction

Universal P.O.V:

I sit on my large dusty couch – that is dilapidated – with the rest of my siblings. My parents stand behind us; myself and the rest of my siblings are taking up the whole couch.

I glance over at the clock hanging on my wall, it’s about two minutes to midday, the television should turn on any second now and me and the rest of Panem will get the news we’ve been waiting for – fearfully – all year.

I stare into the blackness of the television screen, seeing the reflection of myself in it, with the rest of my family around me. Will I be still here this time next month? Will my brothers and sisters? I can’t imagine having to watch one of them fighting to the death on television. Having to watch them would be even worse than having to do it myself.

The crappy television sitting in front of us suddenly turns on, and the Capitol symbol appears on the screen. The country’s anthem begins to sound from the television. There are a few sky-shots of the Capitol flashing across the screen as it plays along with some pictures of what the Districts supposedly look like.

There are images of the sea in District Four, the setting sun setting beautifully on it turning the water a golden colour. There is a shot of the meadows in District Ten and the orchards of District Eleven. There is another shot of the seemingly endless fields of grain in District Nine, the next is a shot looking down on one of the lumber forests in District Seven. All the shots look beautiful, they make the Districts look like pleasant places to live. Whoever took those pictures is very good with picture alteration on computers and obviously has never visited any of the Districts before.

When the anthem finally stops playing, the image onscreen changes to a stage. On the stage – where the camera is facing – is a podium which has a microphone ready at it. On the wall at the back of the stage, hangs the Capitol symbol printed on a flag, the one that is printed everywhere throughout the country to remind us exactly who’s running things – as if we’d forget!

The image changes again, a camera on the stage is facing outwards, towards the crowds of cheering Capitol citizens who have come to witness the announcement of this year’s Quarter Quell. As per usual, they look ridiculous, with whacky, multicoloured hairstyles that make them look like circus freaks and equally ludicrous outfits. They all have looks of excitement and anticipation as they stand in waiting for their president to make his appearance on stage.

The camera continues to move around the crowds and the Capitol populace beckon happily as the camera passes them – oh how they make me sick!

The image on screen finally goes back to the stage and the crowds attending the event begin to cheer fanatically as President Tiberius Snow makes his way onto the stage in his signature plush suit – the one he wears every time he appears on television for anything that has to do with the Hunger Games.

In accordance to what my parents have said in the past, he looks a lot like both his father and grandfather – his grandfather being the man who was ruling Panem when the Hunger Games was first decreed.

‘’ Hello Panem!’’ He beams happily with a smile, causing the crowd in front of him to scream in dedication as he waves at them.

He stands at the podium – probably relishing his power – until the adoring crowd finally stop screaming long enough for him to get a sentence in.

‘’ One hundred and twenty five years ago, this country witnessed terrible, terrible things. The thirteen Districts of Panem staged an uprising against our beautiful city and many lives were lost. Despite this, all thirteen Districts were defeated very easily and one was even completely destroyed! To remind the people, the rebels of the remaining twelve Districts, that what they did was foolish and wrong, my grandfather helped found the Hunger Games – something that has become so much more than just punishment for these rebellious actions as it has progressed. I feel so lucky to still be here, to celebrate the fifth Quarter Quell, as I was here to celebrate the fourth – or, as some of you like to call it, the first ultimate games which I hope will be the first of many, many more to come.’’

As he begins his annual speech, the crowd cheer crazily, as they always do. However I sit in silence, petrified over what the president is going to say next.

‘’ And in honour of my father, and his father before him, I wish to take a minute of silence with you all, to remember them.’’ He asks and then shuts his eyes. The crowds also mimic him, finally silencing.

‘’ Remember them?’’ Gasps my mother in disgust. ‘’ What about the hundreds of innocent children they slay every year?’’

Nobody responds to this, we all remain silent until the President speaks once again.

‘’ Now then, the time we’ve all been waiting for, the revealing of the Quell theme!’’ He chimes enthusiastically and he receives a cheer from the audience.

A woman in a white dress crosses the stage with a small golden envelope gripped in her hands. She smiles broadly as she approaches the President and when she hands him the envelope, she retreats from the stage proudly. President Snow uses a small knife to open the Capitol Seal melted using candle wax onto the envelope and he pulls out a piece of parchment.

‘’ Ladies and gentlemen of Panem, for the Pageant of the one hundred and twenty fifth annual Hunger Games, or the fifth Quarter Quell, we have a special treat in store. Here in Panem, we are all depending on something, the Capitol depends on the twelve districts for goods, the districts depend on the Capitol for food and protection but also, the districts depend on each other.

To highlight the fact that the districts of Panem are so dependent on each other, the tributes in this year’s Hunger Games will be randomly paired with one another. The pairs will be connected via a new Capitol invention that will mean when one of them dies, so does the other. This will mean that the pairs will have to protect each other, because their lives are in their partner’s hands and vice versa.

As you may be wondering how this will affect the final outcome, I am very excited to announce that for the first time ever in Hunger Games history, two tributes will be able to win! Yes, you heard me correct. There will be two victors! You will all hear more about this after the Reapings have commenced, until then, I bid you all adieu. The one hundred and twenty fifth annual Hunger Games has officially begun!’’