The Arena: Day Four - Part One

Bliss Dixon’s POV:

‘’ We should just keep walking, if we come across a tribute then we fight, if not then all the better.’’ Suggests Gauze, Echo nods in agreement.

‘’ Agreed.’’

‘’ Let’s go then.’’

We walk from the shelter of the trees and out into the open, Gauze leads and I stand by his side. He has his crossbow loaded and hanging by his hip as we walk. Echo is behind us with my dagger and Osmo trails along beside her – still shaking slightly every few moments but no longer screaming.

I notice him muttering to himself every so often but I try to ignore it, Gauze told me the Capitol did something to his head and Echo would be said if I asked about it. Yet another person that has had their life turned upside down by the Capitol – doing what seems to be irreparable damage to the poor boy. 

The sun is approaching the centre of the sky, it will soon be noon which means the third special attraction will be announced – another hour or two maybe, although it is hard to tell exactly. None of us are eager for that point to come. The arena is bad enough without the horrific additions the Capitol throws at us.

‘’ What do you think it will be?’’ Questions Echo, as if reading my mind.

‘’ The attraction? I dunno, something big and exciting.’’ Replies Gauze. ‘’ This is the last of three attractions, so it’ll be good.’’

‘’Meaning it will be bad for us.’’ I add and he nods.

‘’ I don’t even want to think about what it could be.’’ Says Gauze.

‘’ Neither do I, it’s just I can’t get it out of my head.’’ Sighs Echo.

‘’ I hope it isn’t too bad.’’ I sigh, although I know it will be. The others know this too, but they choose not to respond – leaving me with the hope that it won’t be as bad as we are anticipating.

We walk on, moving towards a cluster of buildings in the distance, they seem to be town buildings – they are definitely not residential. We walk with very little purpose, only to occupy ourselves really in fear that if we sit still too long, the Capitol will intervene to make it more entertaining for their viewers.

Over the years I’ve seen some horrific examples of this, flooding parts of the arena to draw tributes together...or worse, setting the place on fire.

We all silently hope that we will come across no other tributes, but at the same time we all know that if we do, it will be kill or be killed...Although I am quite confident with both Gauze and Echo on my side that we will be safer than the other tributes and well able to deal with any threats that may arise.

‘’ You OK?’’ Asks Gauze after a few moments.

I nod. ‘’ Fine, I guess. We are in the Hunger Games.’’

‘’ I suppose we are.’’ He replies comically, as if he didn’t know before now and I smile.

‘’ Are we going to get out of here?’’ I ask. ‘’ For real?’’

‘’ I hope so.’’ He nods, but there is little conviction in his tone.

‘’ Will you kill if you have to?’’ I ask.

‘’ I already have.’’

‘’ I mean again. Ravina was different, she was attacking Echo. Would you kill someone else, Ethan and Lilly for example?’’ I rephrase.

He nods. ‘’ I suppose I would. I really wouldn’t like it, and I know it will haunt me for the rest of my life, but it’s the only way we can get out of here and back home.’’