Tribute Pairings - Part Two

Piper Papillon’s POV:

‘’ Hello Panem! Welcome back to the second instalment of the pairings! So far, twelve tributes have had their fate decided for them, now it is time for the final six pairs to be formed.’’ I say and the small audience applauds – they are not as wild as the Capitol audience normally is.

I approach the Reaping bowl, now with just twelve names remaining and pull out a name.

‘’ Acacia Frost!’’ I scream joyfully and the young girl leaves the table she is sitting at and makes her way to the stage.

‘’ OK then Acacia, you know the drill. Simply spin the wheel.’’ I explain with a smile and she nods in understanding.

The young girl approaches the wheel, places her hand on it and spins it as hard as she can. Although it does not spin as fast as Brutis’ or Gauze’s spin, it moves surprisingly fast for a girl as small as her.

Odhan Tyrell’s POV:

I watch as the small red arrow on the top of the wheel clicks as it ticks past each of the turning handles between each segment separating the tribute’s names. I stare at my name on the wheel – directly between Ike Nash and Adaline Trunkette – as the arrow approaches us. The arrow is in Adaline’s segment as it slows down. It clicks as it hits the handle and falls into my section – however it isn’t done moving yet.

It crawls through my section and as it comes to the handle separating myself and Ike, it begins to bend. As horrible as I seem for doing so, I pray silently for it to move into the next section. As nice as I’m sure Acacia is, I can’t be paired with her. If I am, I won’t be returning home – not that I want to, but still.

Please. Not a twelve year old. Anyone else. Please.

The arrow clicks once more and it exits my section and passes into Ike’s. As it does this, I breathe out a sigh of relief.

I am a horrible person. I think to myself.

‘’ Congratulations Ike Nash! You are young Acacia Frost’s partner for the Games! Please, make your way up here and take a seat with the other pairs.’’ Calls Piper.

I watch him as he walks to the stage, Brutis eyes the two like they are bags of fresh meat and he licks his lips at them! Acacia stares at the ground as she passes however Ike stares him down. Brutis smirks and turns away.

‘’ OK then, the next tribute up is...’’ Begins Piper as she sticks her hand into the bowl. ‘’ Ravina Quill!’’

Ravina skips up to the stage excitedly with a broad smile on her face.

Forget what I said about Acacia. I’d settle for anyone but Ravina. Anyone. I think and curse myself. This is the karma I’ll get for what I was thinking about Acacia. I’ll be paired with Ravina.

‘’ OK Ravina, just spin the wheel and wait for it to stop on a tribute!’’ Instructs Piper and Ravina approaches the wheel and spins.

She grasps the wheel and yanks it downwards causing it to move just as fast as it did for the strongest of the boys. It does a few laps and then finally begins to slow down. It passes a few names.

Osmo Overton.

Cricket Wakely.

Lilly Cullen.

Ethan Rhodes.

Then I watch as it slows down almost completely in my section. Now because of the fact that sections are bigger – because tribute’s names have been removed from the wheel – the arrow spends longer in each section. The arrow hits the handle dividing my section from Adaline Trunkette’s section and begins to turn.