Tribute Collar Tutorial

Piper Papillon’s POV:

‘’ Good morning tributes, today is the big day, the day the whole country has been waiting for with anticipation for weeks. In just three hours, you will be entering the arena. So I am going to give you a tutorial on the device that will keep you paired together.’’ I begin, removing a sample stainless titanium collar from its velvety red box.

The tributes stare at it in confusion.

‘’ These devices will be clipped onto each of your necks shortly before entering the arena. They are specifically programmed to each individual pairing. They ensure that you cannot ditch your pair and also mean that when a tribute dies, so does their partner.’’ I continue.

‘’ How do they work?’’ Questions Osmo. ‘’ What happens to the tribute when their partner dies?’’

‘’ Well each collar – like I mentioned – is programmed differently and thus will react differently. I don’t want to give away any spoilers, so you’ll have to wait and find out in the arena.’’ I explain excitedly.

Osmo nods his head, looking – both intrigued and horrified – at the collar in my hand.

‘’ The collars mean that you cannot be more than twenty meters away from your partner at any point of the game for longer than ten seconds. They will kill both tributes if this happens.’’ I continue. ‘’ They are also water-proof, sand-proof, fire-proof and are also immune to electrocution and oxidation.’’

The tributes stare at me in horror.

‘’ Any questions?’’ I ask.

‘’ What happens if we try to take them off?’’ Asks one of the tributes from among the group standing in front of me – possibly Gauze.

‘’ Well firstly, there’s no way you could figure out how they work, any of you. Secondly, if the Capitol thinks you’re trying to take it off, they will just push a button and the collar will kill you. So here’s a tip, don’t try anything.’’ I explain. ‘’ Anything else?’’

The room stays quiet.

‘’ OK then, I just want to wish you all the very best of luck and I want to say that I look forward to speaking to the winning pair in a few days time. The one hundred and twenty fifth Hunger Games is almost upon us, so may the odds be ever in your favour.’’