The Arena: Day One - The Bloodbath

Echo Spark’s POV:

‘’ Tributes! Please step into your tubes!’’ Booms the voice of the President from speakers in the small room I am in.

As I approach the glass tube in the corner of the room, I take one quick glance around me. The room resembles some sort of ancient waiting room in a doctors that I remember seeing in an old history book from school. There is a small table in the centre, with a single steel chair in the corner. There is an armed Peacekeeper standing at attention at the doorway – and I know there is a second on the outside as well. The room is pale, grey walls, grey floor, grey ceiling.

As I step inside the tube, I nervously fidget with the titanium collar fitted around my throat. It isn’t that noticeable, as it is skin tight and the inside is slightly cushioned so it isn’t irritating to wear. Although the collar isn’t that annoying to wear, I am not in any way looking forward to seeing what it can do in the arena. From what Piper described, it won’t be pretty.

As I step into the tube, the doors shut behind me. I gulp and stare the Peacekeeper in the eye. He is smirking at me, and as I begin to ascend, he chuckles – although I cannot hear him because of the tube. I try to hide my anger, but fail and end up flipping him off with my middle finger as he disappears from my view.

There is a brief moment of darkness as I ascend through the ground and after about thirty seconds I emerge at ground level. The brightness is a lot more intense than the dark room below and it takes my eyes a moment to adjust. When they do, I glance around frantically – eager to take in as much of my surroundings as I can in the time I have. The first thing I notice is that Osmo is standing on the pedestal directly beside me. Upon further observation, I notice that all pairs are stationed beside each other.

The next thing I notice is the clearing we are in which is surrounded by towering evergreens that circle us. The trees are giant, and I cannot see much else over them. They are also too closely packed to see through them.

‘’ Welcome tributes, to the One Hundred and Twenty Fifth Annual Hunger Games, or the Fifth Quarter Quell. I am very excited to announce that this year’s arena, and the attractions you will face have been voted for by the Capitol audience, so you can thank them for what you go through.

I wish you all the best of luck, and I just want to say you have been a pleasure over the last few weeks. May the odds be ever in your favour, let the games begin!’’ The voice of President Tiberius Snow booms throughout the arena, and I notice the look of disgust on most of the faces around me. As he finishes speaking, the sixty second countdown begins.

I glare around the semi-circle of tributes, making eye-contact with as many tributes as possible to show I mean business and I will not back down. As myself and Osmo previously decided, we will both be running to the cornucopia. It is a big risk, but we can’t afford to separate, especially with the distance limit of the collars.

‘’ What are you doing Acacia?’’ Gasps Ike suddenly, he is to my left and Acacia is to his.

‘’ I’m sorry Ike, I can’t do this.’’ Sobs Acacia, who – only now do I realise – is crying.

‘’ What do you-‘’ Begins Ike in both confusion and shock, but before he can finish his question, Acacia steps forward and off her platform.

BOOM!

There is a collective gasp from the circle of tributes as the ground beneath Acacia erupts in a deafening – yet controlled – explosion and her body is blown apart. The explosion echoes and is followed by a cannon fire. I realise this is the first time I have witnessed a tribute step off their platform. My mouth hangs open in shock. All eyes turn to Ike as he stands rooted to the spot. Unable to move and unsure of what will happen next. His collar begins to beep.