Reapings: District Ten

Adaline Trunkette’s POV:

‘’ Ladies and gentlemen of District Ten! I am very pleased to welcome you all here to the Reaping celebrations for this year’s Hunger Games. This year, we are celebrating one hundred and twenty five years of glorious Games, and it is a very special year. As you all know, every twenty five years the Capitol organises a special Games called the Quarter Quell, and the time has come for the Fifth Quarter Quell.’’ Smiles the Mayor of our District.

She is rather pudgy to say she lives in a District of Panem and not in the Capitol and she dresses just like the crazy citizens of the Capitol. Every year I note how bizarrely she is dressed and every year – without fail – she manages to come to the Reaping even wackier than before.

She wears a lemony yellow dress that elongates down to her feet – however she really doesn’t have the figure to pull it off. It sits quite awkwardly over her and it bulges outwards at the hips due to her oversized thighs.

Her hair is a mixture of dyes, bright yellow as well as the palest shade of white I’ve ever seen. Her hair looks a mess really – it sits on her head in a bundle of curls and there is a crown-like hairpiece sitting on it which glitters annoyingly – but apparently this is what the Capitol considers fashionable. The most original you look, the better!

More like the stupider you look, the better! I mutter inside my own head.

I glance at my mother at the back of the crowd, she is staring right at me. She looks worried for me. My father has tried to calm her down, but she has feared this day for my whole life. After all, she has already lost a brother to the Games. She has never talked about it with me, but I’ve heard the rumours.

My uncle took part in the Ultimate Games, didn’t make it very far at all. His name was Rhiannon Fray. Reaped on his twelfth birthday to enter a blood bath. He never made it to the Ultimate Games, died in the qualifying round between Districts Nine through Twelve. Poor boy. Twenty five years later and she her wounds are as fresh as they ever were – the scabs freshly picked at every year during the Games as more and more innocent children’s lives are taken.

‘’ For this year’s Quarter Quell, we all know that the twenty four tributes will be randomly paired with one another so we will have twelve pairs of two. These pairs will be connected to each other and when one dies, so does the other. This to me sounds exhilarating! I can’t wait until we find out more about this! Also, for the first time ever, there will be two winners of the Hunger Games, not just one.’’ She continues.

I think to myself about the pairings that are apparently going to be random. I bet the Capitol will fix them to make the Games more interesting.  I heard that a set of twins were Reaped, knowing the Capitol the twins will probably be separated. Imagine that, not only having to enter a battle to the death with your twin, but also having to fight against them. The Capitol never ceases to surprise me with the cruelty of the Games.

‘’ I’m hoping two careers are paired together! That would mean a lot more action!’’ Explains the Mayor excitedly – she makes me sick.

The crowd watches her silently and in disgust. How can she be so positive about sending two children she most likely knows to be slaughtered live on television in front of their friends, family and entire District? It’s horrible!

‘’ Now then, let me introduce to you all to our brand new escort who will be taking it from here, Maverick Martin!’’ She beams and a male Capitol man dressed in a navy blue and purple suit strides onto the stage.

‘’ Hello District Ten!’’ He cheers flamboyantly – the crowd remains silently. ‘’ I warmly welcome all of you to the Reapings. I wish all of you the best of luck today and I know myself that the two tributes I pull from the Reaping bowls will be honourable, brave and valiant, even in death if it comes to that.’’