Reapings: District One

Brutis Glaze’s POV:

‘’ Brutis! Wake up honey! Breakfast is ready.’’ Calls my mother from downstairs, the smell of my favourite food wafts up the stairs and into my room.

‘’ Pancakes with blueberries and cream, mother you’ve made my day.’’ I mutter to myself with a grin as I climb from my four poster bed.

I descend to the kitchen and my mother greets me with a peck on the cheek and a hug.

‘’ Today’s the big day sweetheart!’’ She chimes.

‘’ Today’s the big day.’’ I repeat with a smile. ‘’ The day a man becomes a tribute.’’

‘’ That’s my boy!’’ Says my father proudly as he enters the kitchen, a long smoking pipe in his mouth and the newspaper under his arm.

‘’ How many kills do you think I will get in the bloodbath?’’ I question as I take a seat and begin to horse down the pancakes. ‘’ I’m hoping at least five.’’

‘’ Is that all? Come on Brutis, you’re much more capable than that!’’ Says my father coldly. ‘’ I’ll be accepting no less than ten!’’

‘’ Yes father!’’ I reply and I finish off the rest of my food silently.

I quickly finish my breakfast and head back up to my room to prepare for the Reapings. My mother has lain out my fancy clothes that I only see at this time of year. I wash and then pull the clothes on. My mother then comes in and combs my hair and fixes my bowtie for me.

‘’ You look lovely.’’ Beams my mother proudly. ‘’ Doesn’t he Charles?’’

My father’s eyes barely leave the paper he is reading, they glance at me for the slightest of seconds. ‘’ Is ‘lovely’ really the impression you want to be giving?’’

‘’ Oh stop that Charles! You know exactly what I meant.’’ Scolds my mother and my father returns to his pipe and paper.

From outside, the voice of District One’s Mayor begins to sound through the speakers located on every corner.

‘’ I will now ask that all of those who are up for today’s Reaping to head to the town square, we will be beginning in just thirty nine minutes!’’

‘’ I better go mother.’’ I say, moving towards the door.

‘’ Do us proud my boy! We’ll see you later.’’ Chimes my mother happily and I exit the house.

I walk down the small pathway from my house and I exit through the garden gate, glistening a bright green colour in the sunshine. As I get to the gate, I am met by two friends.

‘’ Yo Brutis! Wait up!’’ Calls Marvin from behind me. He and Gretchen, one of my other friends jogs to catch up to me.

‘’ Today’s the day.’’ I smile.

‘’ You’re gonna do us proud!’’ Smiles Marvin.

‘’ I can’t wait!’’ I beam excitedly in response.

‘’ I wish I could go in! My parent’s said I can’t volunteer until next year when I’m eighteen. I would have loved to take part in a Quell. My parents will be paying my trainer double next year so I will be unstoppable when the time comes to enter the arena. At least I can watch my best friend win it though.’’ Smiles Gretchen.

‘’ I wonder who I’ll be paired with.’’ I wonder aloud. ‘’ It better be another career, that way I can have some fun!’’

‘’ Ah you will, the Capitol will want to make an interesting Games, so they’ll probably rig the draw so there is two pairs of careers, the Capitol citizens would love that!’’ Explains Marvin.