Opening Ceremonies: Interviews - Part Two

Piper Papillon’s POV:

‘’ Hello everyone and welcome back! Please give a warm welcome to our next set of tributes, the tributes of Districts Four, Five and Six!’’ As I scream this and the six teenagers make their way onto the stage, the crowd roars crazily.

This six tributes – Caspian, Lilly, Ethan, Ellie, Odhan and Acacia – take their seats on the stage beside me and wave at the adoring crowd chanting their names.

‘’ OK then, let’s get started!’’ I suggest excitedly when the crowd finally stops screaming and cheering. ‘’ The first question is for Caspian. Please, tell us, who would be your ideal partner?’’

Caspian smiles. ‘’ I think you know the answer to that one already, Lilly of course!’’

‘’ You two really are in love?’’ I question.

‘’ Of course. Look at her, she’s beautiful!’’ He yells proudly and the crowd cheers crazily for the two of them. Lilly blushes madly on stage beside him.

‘’ What would happen if you weren’t paired with Lilly, what would you do?’’ I ask.

‘’ I would find her and form an alliance with her, I’d make that she makes it back home if I cannot.’’ He explains.

‘’ Would you sacrifice yourself for her?’’ I continue.

‘’ Yes.’’ He vows and kisses Lilly’s hand, again causing the crowd to scream in crazed admiration for the couple.

‘’ That’s very cute Caspian, I’m quite jealous of Lilly.’’ I joke and the two laugh, as do the crowd.

‘’ The next question is for you Lilly. During the Reapings, when you were asked for a word to sum you up, you chose ‘afraid’. Obviously you were frightened to be leaving home, but had it ever crossed your mind that you’d ever compete in the Hunger Games?’’ I ask.

‘’ Hmm.’’ Begins Lilly, thinking silently for a moment to get her thoughts together. ‘’ I guess in a way, everyone imagines themselves being selected for the Hunger Games. However I think in our own heads, we imagine ourselves to have a very heroic story in the Games. Most of the time we even picture ourselves winning. The money, the fame, the glory. Despite this however, I was very shocked to hear my name being called.’’

‘’ That’s a very good point Lilly. Also, I’d expect the fact that you are the daughter of the District Four Mayor, the entire District was shocked. How did it feel walking up onto that stage?’’ I ask.

‘’ It was quite daunting. I could see the fact of my father – as shocked as I was – and even Pod Pratchett seemed surprised! However as soon as my beloved Caspian volunteered, I felt relieved. I know he won’t let anything happen to me.’’ She explains and the crowd making awing noises and toss flowers onto the stage.

‘’ How adorable!’’ I exclaim. ‘’ You two are just the cutest thing ever!’’

‘’ Speaking of drama at the Reapings, I have a question here for Ellie send in by our viewers. You fainted on stage when you heard your brother’s name being called out. What was going through your head just before you lost consciousness?’’

‘’ A lot of things.’’ Begins Ellie with a laugh. ‘’ I was quite shocked to be honest. Like Lilly very correctly pointed out, although you think of hundreds of different scenarios of what you would do if you had to play in the Hunger Games, it’s still quite a shock to the system when you find out.’’

‘’ How did you feel when you heard Ethan’s name, just before you blacked out?’’ I continue.

‘’ Well at first I felt horrible, because I pictured the two of us having to fight to the death at the end despite the fact that we would never do that, no matter what the Capitol said. But later on I thought about it, I’m lucky to have Ethan with me, he will protect me like Caspian will protect Lilly.’’ She explains and the crowd applauds her.