The Arena: Day One - Part Two

Caspian Reef’s POV:

‘’ We need to find proper shelter soon, it’s getting dark.’’ I suggest as we begin at a steady pace from a small river we had been resting at.

We almost drank it, but Lilly noticed the lack of aqua flora and fauna, there were none at all. The water was undrinkable, poisonous.

‘’ Good job back there.’’ Exclaims Ethan as we run, almost reading my thoughts.

‘’ It was nothing. What else do you expect a tribute from Four to be useful for if not water.’’ She grins.

‘’ I didn’t know!’’ I add. ‘’ I’d certainly be dead if it wasn’t for you.’’

We continue on for about thirty minutes and then reach a large slope, leading up a hill to where a cluster of what appear to be houses are located. We quickly decide that the houses are our best bet and we make our way toward them cautiously.

There are five rather large houses before us – all of them are abandoned looking, with busted windows, broken doors, and roofs that don’t look to sturdy. However we spend a further ten minutes inspecting them and conclude it is best to take shelter in the house in the second best condition – just in case any other tributes do wander this way.  We crawl in through a hole in the back wall and cautiously creep along the hallway, the sun is beginning to go down outside and the sky is a brilliant amber colour.

‘’ We should go through our supplies before we lose the light of the sun. It’s already going down.’’ Suggests Ellie.

We sprawl all our gear in a giant pile on the floor before us, our collective earnings from our perilous trek to the cornucopia are quite surprising. I lay down my trident on the floor beside me; this is the first time it has left my hand since I picked it up. It feels so good to have one in my hand again.

There are three daggers before us and a pouch of small throwing knives – we all have weapons to defend ourselves with when the time comes. There is also two day packs, some food, a torch, bandages, a full first aid kit, some bottles of water and some matches. We did pretty well for ourselves.

‘’ Who do you think is dead?’’ I ask.

‘’ Couldn’t tell, hopefully Brutis. He’s an asshole.’’ Mutters Lilly and I stifle a laugh.

‘’ Agreed.’’ I say, and the twins nod their heads – they too believe it apparently.

‘’ Realistically though, he’s probably alive.’’ Adds Ellie.

‘’ It was probably the really young ones, it’s probably for the best though because they don’t have to slowly starve to death, or die of thirst.’’ Explains Ethan and I nod with agreement.

‘’ Or worse, get chased down by the likes of Brutis or Ravina.’’ Adds Lilly.

‘’ Let’s just hope that the young ones that do die are put out of their misery quick and painlessly. I know how harsh that sounds, but we won’t be able to get out of here until all are dead, and I’d rather not have to kill one of them to be quite honest.’’ I say and the others give another nod.

What nobody brings up is the fact that not all four of us will be making it out of here. I don’t plan on surviving this, I will make sure we are the last two pairs and then I will let Lilly win by killing myself, but Ethan won’t allow that to happen because it would kill Ellie. I’m sure he too wants the same for his sister as I want for my lover. We’ll just have to wait and see.

Gauze Weaver’s POV:

‘’ Don’t move.’’ I warn threateningly, holding my bow out before me with Bliss hiding behind me.