Epilogue

10 years later...

Bliss Dixon’s POV:

‘’ Hey.’’ I smile, kissing Gauze on the cheek. He is sitting on the couch and the television is on, although it’s nothing important – a documentary on the Capitol or something.

‘’ Morning sweetie.’’ He smiles in response. ‘’ Sleep well?’’

‘’ I’d sleep better if you bloody used those snoring plugs I got you!’’ I scold playfully and he laughs. ‘’ And the random kicking during the night doesn’t help either.’’

‘’ Apologies.’’ He says in a fake posh voice, imitating the Capitol citizens we love to hate.

‘’ We interrupt this programme to bring you a special news bulletin. The body of Piper Papillon has been found in the President’s mansion house in the Capitol. The ex-Hunger Games hostess and the official Capitol news reporter was found in her bed by President Snow, who was distraught to find that Piper took her own life.’’ Begins a nasally Capitol reporter and the two of us glance at each other in shock.

‘’ Oh God.’’ I gasp, tears brimming in my eyes. Although I didn’t really like Piper, it just brings back memories of the Games, and the people we lost.

‘’ Poor woman, she’s been going downhill since marrying Snow. She was obviously forced into it.’’ Replies Gauze sadly and we turn back to the screen.

‘’ President Snow III issued the statement shortly after midday today, explaining that Piper had been acting up last night and he was shocked to say the least to find her dead in the bed beside him in the morning. He gave us no further statements but he has announced that he will be in touch with us in a few days with funeral arrangements.’’

Gauze turns the television off and we walk to the study. He pulls open the giant scrapbook sitting on the table. It is a scrapbook depicting the last decade since we left the arena in photographs and newspaper articles. I know it off by heart now because of the endless nights I’ve sat reading through it.

I often find myself reading through the section dedicated to Osmo and Echo the longest, it is by far the largest section. There are pictures of us in the arena with them, the final day where myself, Gauze, Echo and Osmo faced Alistair and Arianna – the day that has caused me to toss and turn in my sleep with nightmares I’d rather forget for the best part of ten years.

Gauze takes out a small black marker and finds the most recent page. He chalks in the date and writes about Piper’s suicide. We will add any photographs or articles released in the newspapers when they are published, until now we just wait.

‘’ We better get going, the Reapings will be starting soon.’’ I say as Gauze stares at the page before him, a picture of the two of us kneeling beside Echo and Osmo as they lie on the ground – both with dagger wounds in their chests.

‘’ Great.’’ He sighs and gets to his feet.

The streets of District Eleven are empty – everyone is already in the square waiting for the Reaping to commence. The stage is empty when we arrive, the town officials, Mayor and escorts are waiting for us. We file onto the stage and take a seat on the stage, sitting facing the crowds of horrified children.

The Mayor goes through his speech that everyone is sick of listening to and then our District’s escort does a small talk. The crowd is silent when she approaches the Reaping balls.

‘’ Hello District Eleven! I will now choose the two lucky tributes to represent our wonderful home in this year’s Hunger Games. Sitting onstage are Bliss Dixon and Gauze Weaver, the most recent winners of the Hunger Games from District Eleven. Although Bliss is not originally from this District, she is considered family now that she married Gauze earlier this year. Anyway, they both stand as a reminder that it is possible to defeat the careers. It is possible to win.’’