The Arena: Day Three - Part One

Min Yan’s POV:

‘’ Tributes! Good morning and Happy Hunger Games! Firstly, I’d like to congratulate you all on getting to day three, there are fourteen of you left in total and I wish you all the best of luck. As you are all very aware of, the Capitol has been voting on the special attractions that you will all be facing each day of the Games. Today is a new day, the mermaid sirens are gone with the tributes they took down with them, and I am happy to announce today’s attraction.

Today, to remind you all just how much blood has been spilt over the course of the Hunger Games, it will rain...in blood. The arena will be ravaged by storms, bad weather and of course the aforementioned blood rain until the equivalent of one hundred and twenty five years worth of blood has rained down upon you all. This blood includes the tributes, the beasts and mutts, the deaths brought on by revolts in Districts and of course the blood lost in the war that resulted in the creation of the Hunger Games. The storms will begin at twelve noon meaning thirty minutes. I look forward to speaking to you all again later, but until then, may the odds be ever in your favour.’’ The voice of the President booms throughout the arena, as he talks we are silent – it seems as though the whole island is – and when he finish we glance at each other in horror.

This is not going to be pleasant.

‘’ Oh God.’’ I mutter, thinking aloud. ‘’ How long will that rain last?’’

Stitch stays silent for a few moments, doing the addition in his head. ‘’ Hours. Tens of thousands have lost their lives in the last one hundred and twenty five years. Especially considering the fact that they are taking the Great War of Panem into consideration. It’s going to last the whole day.’’

‘’ Oh God. We should try find shelter somewhere.’’ I suggest.

‘’ Yeah, but we need to stay away from the housing area, it’s unlikely but the twins and them could still be there. I don’t fancy are chances if we’re down two to one.’’

‘’ Me neither.’’ He replies and we walk on.

We walk in silence most of the way as we manoeuvre through the trees, I’m actually quite glad I have Stitch despite the way I felt at the beginning of all this. He has given me some security. If there were no pairings, I wouldn’t have been able to pair with someone, through fear of being betrayed. The fact that we are a team permanently, no matter what gives a sense of security.

‘’ Have you ever been in love?’’ Questions Stitch.

‘’ I don’t really know, I’ve had a few crushes that I wish had became more than just that, but I don’t think so. I mean, what is love really?’’

‘’ My mum once told me true love is when you no longer have to hold in your farts.’’ He explains, there is a moment of silence between us – perhaps he thinks he has offended or disgusted me.

I grin widely at him and the two of us burst into laughter. ‘’ What!?’’

‘’ Think about it.’’ He replies. ‘’ It does make sense.’’

‘’ I suppose it does.’’ I grin.

‘’ I reckon it’s love when all the songs make sense.’’ He adds.

‘’ Do they?’’ I question.

He nods.

‘’ Do you have a girl back home?’’ I ask. ‘’ What’s she like.’’

‘’ I don’t, no. I’m not even sure if I am in love. I’m confused. My head is telling me one thing, but my heart the other. It’s difficult.’’