Chapter 10: Questioning the past

--Max pov--

I played Far cry 3 out of boredom. Jaime had a really big collection of games, so I choosed some random game and ended up playing Far cry 3. I didn't know why people liked this kind of stuff- the only thing you did was to kill people. But I played the game because it distracted me from what I had recently witnessed. I had texted Jaime and the only answer I've got was that I could black mail Harold whenever I wanted.

My teacher were supposed to arrive at any time soon so I supposed that someone would call me. Just as I was supposed to destroy a village someone stood by my right side and I paused the game.

"Really? Haven't you already finished the game like four times?" Teressa asked me.

"Uh, what? Oh. Yeah." I said and put on a smile.

"Your teacher's here. Good luck." she said and patted me on my shoulder. 

"Alright. Where?" I asked her. 

"Seriously? She's in the office, as always." she said and walked away. 

"Thank you!" I said as she was about to disappear throw the door. 

"What? Did I just hear you say 'thank you'?" Teressa asked surprised. I rose from the chair and passed by Teressa who was standing in the door way. 

"Problem?" I asked her.

"Nope." she said. I remembered from the last time where the door were so I opened the door to the left down the hallway. I walked into the office. The office were just as fancy as the other rooms. White floor and black wallpapers. A desk were in the middle of the room and a bord in the right corner. A woman in her mid fifties sat in a chair in front of the desk.

"Jaime! Ready to start the lecture?" she asked me and rose from her chair.

"Yes." I said and walked toward the teacher. 

"So, we will learn about the French revolution today. Could you tell the year it started?"

"The french revolution started 1789 and ended 1799." I said quickly without thinking. The teacher looked at me surprised.

"Wow, last time you didn't even knew what started the revolution." The teacher said. I smiled.

"Well. I know better now."

 And she got the lesson going until it's end.

When she left I was kind of surprised that Jaime was in such a low level. I walked out the office and down to the kitchen. I hadn't eaten all day and I was kind of starving at this point. Even after the incident this morning I still needed to eat. I reached the kitchen and luckily it was empty. I opened the black fridge and took a blueberry youghurt. As I ate the youghurt I started thinking, why did Jaime go to Phoenix? If he wanted to find our mom, what would he start with? Something normal is to ask the adoptive parents if they knew anything, not just ignore them. A first clue would definitely be to look at a birth certificate- which I apparently didn't have. Jaime had to check the birth certificate didn't he? I pulled out my phone. It was three o'clock and I assumed that he was home by now. I dialed him  and as I thought I've gone to voice mail I heard a voice on the other end.

"Yes Max? I'm in the school's bathroom so it better be good. It's disgusting in here." Jaime said.

"Yeah. I just needed to check one thing. Before you got to Phoenix you did check our birth certificate, didn't you?" I asked as I gnawed on my thumb nail. 

"Do you think I'm a idiot?" Jaime asked me deeply offended.

"No, I don't it's just that.."

"Please. Save your excuses. Yes, I did check my birth certificate- even yours." Jaime said in a mixture of calm and annoyance.