The Complication

The Complication.

April 15th, 1980

Lily Potter giggled as she felt her child kick. James grinned, staring into the eyes of the woman he loved so dearly. She returned the smile, but the next second she felt an incredible pain from her abdomen. Gasping, she hit her husband on the arm repeatedly.

"Need... A... Doctor!" She wheezed, her face contorting in severe pain as she hunched over.

"What- what's going on?" James tried to ask. The two of them shuffled outside, James assisting his wife to the fireplace. The couple used the floo powder to get into the lobby of St. Mungo's, where Lily screeched at the lady at the front desk.

The lady called a doctor in, giving the expectant mother a wheelchair and letting the nurses whirl her into the next room. The doctor immediately set to work, checking her vitals and trying to ease her pain using spells that seemed to do nothing. James gripped his wife's hand as she grunted and gasped.

"Doctor, what's happening?" James gripped his wife's hand with both of his as she seemed to break all of his fingers.

"It's not early labour, we're not far enough along. Is there anything that could have triggered this?" She asked, pulling open one of her books to find the correct spell.

"Nothing. I mean she's been having a few pains over the last weeks or two, but never anything this bad."

"Permitto visus de infans" the doctor chanted as she held her hands over Lily's swollen stomach. The stomach turned an eerie blue as the outline of the baby appeared on it. Only the foetus seemed to be thrashing around, the centre showing a hole forming. Both the doctor and the parents stared horrified as the single outline broke apart into two, both only half-formed.

"Well, you seem to be expecting twins, Mrs. Potter," the doctor stated, half joking but still in a state of shock.

"Will they be okay? What just happened?" James asked again, frustrated that he wasn't getting clear answers.

"I don't know. If all continues as normal, both should be fine, we will just have to see. I recommend doubling your scheduled appointments," The doctor trailed on, checking her clipboard of records. She furrowed her brows as she saw this was only their second appointment. "Do you have a midwife? If not, you've missed some vital screenings,"

James glanced at his exhausted wife as he began to explain, "We're supposed to be in hiding. If there wasn't anything major, we wouldn't have come here,"

"I see," the doctor nodded, thinking of all her patients who refused to step out of the house in fear of the dark one, "In that case, I strongly suggest getting a midwife to stay with you for the length of your pregnancy. I have a list of some, I you'd like,"

The couple nodded, and she handed them a list of names and credentials of magical mid-wifes. After deciding on a mother who had two sets of twins, the couple talked over details with the doctor. Once Lily had been cleared to leave, the couple returned to the lobby with its double fireplace. Lily went through first, and as James went to follow he glanced out the window. Two figure in black hoods stood in the shadows, watching him. He gulped and returned home, making sure everything was locked and all the curtains were closed. Lily watched him with a sad look in her eye, hoping that this would all be over soon.
~~

New story! I already have the first chunk written, so cross your fingers and hope I'll finish this one. I got really burnt out on the Merlin one, tbh.

Hope you enjoyed!