Breaking the News

Sirius listened helplessly to Olivia's screams and sobs, and his heart felt a sharp pang as he kept reminding himself that he had done this. He swore that as soon as she woke up that he would get her out of this hell, even if it meant he had to sacrifice himself to do so.

-

Olivia woke up feeling miserable. Her head was pounding, her eyes were drier than she'd ever felt, and everything felt as numb as her mind was. Her eyes started to drift back off to sleep, not wanting to move.

As soon as she had closed her eyes again her dark memories shot through her thoughts and she jolted back awake, feeling shaky and on edge.

When she jolted back awake she must've made some sort of noise, for Sirius piped up from down the hall, "Olivia? Are you awake?"

Olivia whimpered as she ventured to move her head off of her shoulder. Not only was it sore, but also any movement made her nerves go haywire. Before she knew it, she was crying again as she tried to straighten herself out.

"No please don't cry again, don't let this hellish place get to you. You're stronger than that." Sirius tried to cheer up, but he knew her feeling all too well. He'd never been punished in such close quarters, but when the dementors pass by your door every day for years, you start to break down. He had fixed this by turning into a dog and running around whenever he got too low, but Olivia didn't have that option quite yet.

"It's s-s-s so co-cold," Olivia whimpered out, her teeth chattering as soon as she moved. Her breathing was erratic as she fought to control everything. To try and calm down and warm up she hugged her knees close to her chest, taking deep breaths and rocking slightly.

"You're supposed to have chocolate when dementors get to you. And I promise when we get out of here that we're going to buy all the chocolate in London." Sirius tried to cheer her up, straining his neck to try and see her to no avail.

"I-I'll t-take your w-wo-word on that. We n-need to get work-king." She stuttered out again, trying to stop the chattering. She could feel the frost settle in her bones and knew that there wasn't any stopping it.

"You sure you're okay?" Sirius asked again, feeling immensely guilty.

"F-f-fine. Wha-" She breathed a deep breath and steadied her jaw, "what else do I n-need to do?"

"Is your food tray there? You were out through dinner." Sirius asked, having finished his dinner many hours ago.

"Yeah it's here," Olivia looked at the fly-covered food and her stomach lurched, "Not edible, but here."

"Take a part of the meat and the salad and add it to your water with your mandrake leaf. If you feel up to it, squash one of the beetles around here and add it as well." Sirius instructed, praying that the potion wasn't too finicky and that they needed to add certain things in a certain way. Remus had made the potion originally, of course, so he wasn't sure.

Olivia squished one of the beetles crawling on her tray with ease, adding the remains to her cup, "Is that it?"

"Almost. Once morning comes along we'll have to add dew that forms on the window and then it's just combining everything. I don't think we'll be able to alter the taste though," Sirius looked at the remaining ingredients on the floor and saw salt and ginger, which he and James had added for taste.

"It doesn't matter what it tastes like. How long until sunrise?" Olivia stretched and sat on her cot, looking up at her narrow window.

"No idea. Time flys weird in here. If you want I can stay up and wake you when it gets here- you might need your sleep to recover." Sirius didn't know much about recovering while not in dog form, which he always was exhausted after.

"I can barely close my eyes without seeing it all again." Olivia revealed, shuddering and trying not to dwell on it.

The nightmares. Merlin, I'm an idiot, of course she would have nightmares from that. Sirius mentally scolded himself, facepalming. He sighed, "I'll stay up with you then. The first night of nightmares is always the worst."

Olivia cracked a sad smile, genuinely grateful for the voice in the other cell. I wonder how he'll react when he finds out who I am. She thought to herself. He sounded like he really cared about James- does he even know I was born?

"You said you knew Harry's parents, right? Tell me what they were like." Olivia said, trying to deviate her thoughts and turning to a question she'd had for a while.

"James was my best friend. He, Remus, and I used to get into so much trouble," Sirius chuckled, deciding to leave Wormtail out of the talk this time, "His family was really nice too. They would let me stay over the summers, when my family disowned me. And then when Lily came along- not that she wasn't there before, but young boys don't notice girls much- James was just as happy as a guy can be. I was the best man for their wedding you know, and I'm technically Harry's godfather. Remus got to be the girl's, which we joked was an even split." Sirius carried on, not even thinking about what he was saying. As soon as he did though, he realised what he had done.

"The girl?" Olivia asked hopefully- so Sirius did know she existed? And this Remus, he was her godfather? Did she and Harry have a family after all?

Shit. I forget the public didn't know about her. Sirius scolded himself again, "They actually had twins. Harry survived the killing curse, hence the boy who lived, but as far as I know she didn't survive Voldemort."

"Oh," Olivia was silent. But why didn't he question my name? Certainly that would get his attention. "What was her name?"

"I didn't get to go to her christening or anything like that, because I was the one looking after Harry. But they always called her Liv, so I guess her name was Olivia." Sirius said, a crazy idea sparking- what if this Olivia was the Potter's Olivia? But that can't be, she said she had the Malfoys as a foster family. How would she have gotten there?

"They called me Liv?" Olivia said with cheery tears in her eyes, not caring about the info she just dropped on Sirius.

"What did you say?" Sirius asked, thinking his mind had finally gone mad. What if I'm finally hearing things? What if I've imagined her entirely and there's no one actually there?

"Sorry, I never properly introduced myself," Olivia took a deep breath and decided to just do for it, "My birth name is Olivia Louise Potter."

~~

The big reveal oooooooo

Also I've gone back and edited some early chapters so they make a little more sense, but it really doesn't impact anything now. It just helps the people who are just starting this.

Anyway, please leave feedback and I hope you enjoyed!