Discovery

Remus had spoken to Dumbledore and had done a little research of his own but was unable to find any reason for Harry's strange power. The headmaster had told Remus about Olivia's own oddity that had kept hidden from public, and had heavily hinted at the twin scenario. Albus decided it unfair to tell the deep secret, but figured he couldn't be to blame if Remus figured it out on its own.

Unfortunately, like his students, the new professor felt swamped as the end-of-the-year-exams approached and was unable to dedicate much time to his side project. He was in the middle of brainstorming for his unordinary exam when he revived a summon from Severus.

The lycanthrope made his way down to the unwelcoming and unfamiliar dungeons, easily finding Snape's office and entering promptly.

"Ah, Professor Lupin, I was in need  of your expertise in dark magic," Snape welcomed him, his sinister smile plastered on to his face. Remus saw a very terrified-looking Harry sat in the chair opposite Snape's desk, with the one and only Marauders' Map clutched in Snape's mitts.

The potion Professor held the nostalgic parchment out to Remus, "Potter here was found with this enchanted parchment in his possession." He elaborated. Remus kept his smile to himself as he grabbed the paper and looked over it.

It's creases were more pronounced, with a few more rip and tears than he was used to, but it was still the same map he and his friends had spent much time making. He opened it slowly, careful not to recite the words etched into his memories as to not give it away to Snape.

"It just looks like parchment to me. What makes you believe it to be enchanted?" Remus asked, flipping it around playfully but never opening it.

"Well, not only is it sealed shut, but watch it's surface," Snape grabbed it from him and gestured to the words appearing on its surface. Remus barely managed to keep a straight face as he saw the playful insults that Padfoot, Moony, Wormtail, and Prongs hurled at Snape from the paper. It brought him back to simpler times, times when there weren't such high stakes and when there wasn't such a high death count.

"It just looks like a joke piece of parchment that creates insults. Did you get this from Zonko's, Harry? Or from the Weasley twins, perhaps?" Remus grabbed it back from Snape as he read over the words, really glad that he had thought of the whole insulting thing all those years ago.

Harry was apparently one step ahead, "I already told Professor Snape that I got it from the Weasleys, sir."

"So he has. I asked you your verdict on the dark magic, Professor Lupin," Snape reminded him, his smug mood quickly turning sour.

"Oh it's harmless, I'm sure," Remus pulled out his wand and uttered a few spells that he knew wouldn't do anything to the map, "Yup, completely free of dark magic. Is that all you needed me for, Severus?" Remus slipped in the first name just to sting the proud man further.

Snaps gritted his teeth,"Of course. You and Potter may go."

The two rushed out of the room, with Harry's face instantly relaxing as he stepped out of the office. He turned to Remus, "Thank you, sir, Snape was threatening all sorts of punishments if that was dark magic."

Remus smiled, "Yes he seems to get carried away with punishments," The professor sighed and flipped the paper over in his hand, "Now, Harry, you know I can't give the map back to you."

Harry stopped in his tracks, "The map? You know about it? And why not?"

"Of course I know about it, I helped create it. Your father, Peter," Remus breathed a shaky breath, "Sirius and I, we made it in our fifth year. And I know about the secret passages we put on here- you're not allowed to leave school grounds, Harry, and this is a device you can use to do just that."

Harry dropped his head as he walked and nodded, feeling frustrated, "I understand sir."

Remus cast the boy a sad glance. He knew that if Harry was anything like James, he wouldn't like all these rules and restrictions put on him. Making sure the area was empty, he turned back towards Harry, "I'll tell you what— once Black is taken back into custody, come see me and I'll give it right back."

Harry perked up at this, "That'd be great!" But, thinking for a moment, continued more solemnly, "Professor, do you think they'll catch him soon?"

Remus, who was regretting bringing this topic up immensely, responded,"I hope you, Harry, for all of our sakes."

~

Remus returned to his office with the map in hand. He sat down with a moan when his sore muscles reminded him just how sore they were. He placed the parchment on the desk in front of him and stared at it for a moment.

"Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot & Prongs." Where did it all go wrong?

Soon enough the lycanthrope let his curiosity get the best of him, and he pulled out his wand. "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good." He whispered, lightly tapping the paper with his wand.

Welcome, Moony. Appeared briefly, the paper recognising his wand. Remus let his sad smile grow as he opened the mischievous invention.

Unlike the Marauders, the grounds of Hogwarts hadn't changed. The layout was the same, many of the professors were the same, and it was still full of students as always. Remus scanned his favourite spots on the map.

First, he found himself sitting in his office. He smiled at the simple action that everyone always did when looking at the map.

Second, he looked over the secret passages that he and his friends had discovered. They were empty, as Remus expected.

Third, he looked at the Forbidden Forest. Not to necessarily look for anyone, but just because he loved the illustrations of the forest and some of the creatures within it.

He was about to find his fourth favourite place to look—the quidditch pitch, where you could almost see the games being played— when he spotted a few names rushing hurriedly towards the Whomping willow.

Sure, there were plenty of students and such rushing around, but these names were different. Remus read the markings in disbelief:

Sirius Black, Ron Weasley, Peter Pettigrew, Hermione Granger, and, of course, Harry Potter.

~~

I'm so sorry that this chapter took FOREVER to write. I don't have access to my book right now to write the big scene so it might take even longer for the next chapter to go up to, sorry!

Anyway, please leave feedback and I hope you enjoyed!