Momentum

Sirius met with Crookshanks every few weeks or so, and it almost never ended up being useful. It usually just made Crookshanks disappointed in himself, Sirius mad with a shakily hidden rage, and Olivia more on edge than ever.

That was until June 6th.

Well, anything to note? Sirius had asked. The two pets had met near the lake, which Sirius chose so he could have time to calm down after the disappointment eventually turned to rage.

I am sorry to report that the rat is still missing. How is bird friend? Crookshanks hadn't talked to Olivia in what felt like forever, but Sirius had explained Olivia's injury.

Recovering. She wanted to come along, but I managed to talk her out of it. The convincing was actually why they were meeting so late—they usually met during dinner, which had ended about twenty minutes ago.

Best wishes to bird friend. I- The cat's ears perked up, and in a flash, the giant ginger grimalkin was prowling forward, with Sirius unsure whether to follow or not.

What is it?? Sirius called out again, trying to track Crookshanks through the foliage. The cat was too determined to find the squeaking it had heard to respond.

Sirius didn't hear the squeaking until Crookshanks had herded the rodent closer to the tree. He recognised the tone as it became louder, and he recognised the figure as it sprinted toward him.

Sirius had finally caught the traitor. Sirius could be rid of him. Sirius could avenge the death of his best friends. Sirius could finally sleep at night.

The rage that consumed the wanted innocent was something that no words can describe. It was the feeling of righting the wrong, it was the feeling of slaying a crowned serpent, and it was the feeling of retiring a ghost. It was a fuel that cannot be replicated.

He didn't waste a second before bounding towards and pouncing on the people that stood in his way. He didn't even notice who it was he had pounced on, it was as if he could only see his target. His calculations on the pounce weren't perfect, however, and skidded a bit too far.

The lump in the boy's pocket squealed in terror as the boy stood hastily. Sirius didn't risk the pounce on the tall ginger, instead opting to chomp down on the arm that tried to bat him away. The boy crumpled easily from both the force and the shock.

Sirius latched on to the arm tightly enough to drag the boy, for he knew it was the easiest way to extract Pettigrew from the safety of the others. The dog felt a hand grab at him, and heard the thump the Whomping Willow bestowed on its owner. He would've smirked at the tree's loyalty, but his tunnel vision allowed him to focus on no such thing.

He quickly saw that the only hope he had of losing anyone after him was it go into the shrieking shack, and so he dragged the boy by the arm through the tunnel entrance. A light was produced at some point, but Sirius didn't look up to see who or what was its source. He was focused on getting the gangly and flailing boy through the tight entrance, which proved to be quite the struggle. Sirius just kept pulling and pulling until he heard a crack and, with no concern in his mind, pulled the now injured boy behind him.

Dog! May I be of assistance? Sirius only faintly heard Crookshanks as he hurried down the tunnel.

The traitor will be killed tonight. Sirius responded—less to Crookshanks, more to himself— as he made it into the downstairs of the shrieking shack. He didn't stop to check and see if the cat was following him- he frankly didn't care. He was focused on getting the boy up to his room, where he could get to the stolen wands, reveal Peter, and kill him where he stood.