Walking The Dog

The following weeks passed with little to no change. Olivia was unable to get out of bed to try and visit Hogwarts, and Hermione was unable to find time to talk to the other two or to go looking for Olivia. And while Hermione had classes to occupy her , Olivia had almost nothing to do as the holidays approached.

"Did you see Harry's broom when you ran back here?" Olivia asked Sirius one morning when he came in to bring her some food- some wild fruits mostly, with some treats he managed to swipe from town.

"His broom?" Sirius asked, handing her a gift bag he had stolen from the sweet shoppe. She looked at the wet paper bag oddly but didn't deny the food.

"Yeah, it flew right into the Whomping Willow. Hermione brought it to Harry when he was in the hospital wing."

"I didn't notice any broom. How badly was it damaged?" Sirius asked, thinking back to that night. He'd seen the tree moving around, sure, but he hadn't thought anything of it.

"Smashed to pieces. There's no repairing it." Olivia reported, silently cursing herself for bringing it up. Sirius was going to feel all guilty about it, and then he'll-

"I'll replace it for him." Sirius cut off Olivia's thoughts, speaking as if he'd read them.

"Sirius, we don't have any money, means of transportation, or even place to get a broom from. I can't even get out of bed!" Olivia shot down his idea immediately, still cursing herself for bringing it up.

"I can always carry you, and we don't have to go far to get a broom. It's only a few hours to Inverness, and it shouldn't take long to swipe a broom. Besides, we need something to do." Sirius tried to persuade her, the idea of getting out of the Shack seeming like a blessing.

"Okay, You know what?" Olivia breathed a deep sigh, "I can tell you really want to get out of here. You go to Inverness, run around a bit, do what you want to, and then come back. I don't want to slow you down, and who knows how lost I could get in Inverness."

Sirius was instantly against this, "Last time I left you here alone-"

"I was just fine. When you delivered the letter? I was just fine when you got back." Olivia cut him off this time, "And besides, I can't throw a fit if I can barely move without pain. Just make sure you don't get caught."

Sirius hesitated, "Just because that one time was okay, I don't know if I could leave you here."

"You better get going, then. The longer you're away, the more likely I'll have a fit. And if you hurry, the broom could be Harry's Christmas gift." Olivia looked Sirius dead in the eyes, "Please go. You don't like being cooped up in here, and I can't leave. I'll be fine, just go."

With a sad look on his face, Sirius nodded. He shifted towards her, and hugged her as best he could with her half-lying down. Planting a kiss into her hair, he had another bad thought.

"If I'm not back within two days-" He started, not even sure where he was going with that sentence before Olivia cut him off once again.

"There's no if. You will be back within two days, Sirius Black, I have complete faith in you." Olivia took the less threatening route, smiling at him as she said it.

He patted her on the shoulder closest to him, smiling himself, "That's the Liv I know. I'll see you before tomorrow even gets here."

~

He did return in a half-day's time, as promised, but surprisingly in his human form. When he came into the shack through their make-shift entrance, he had crawl on his stomach after placing his bag inside before him. Sirius patched up the entrance as best he could, as it was very cold already, and headed up to Olivia's room.

He tried the door knob, only to find it locked. Knocking, he called out hesitantly, "Liv? I'm back. And I brought lots of stuff for us. How did you even lock this door?"

The door rattled, and he tried the know again to find it open. Stepping into the dim room softly, he called out again, "Liv?"

"I'm up here." He heard her voice say. Sirius looked around the whole room before finding her upside-down, hovering over the bed.

"What? How?" Sirius asked, watching in fascination as she drifted downwards while slowly rotating until she rested on the bed.

"Weird powers, remember? I kept myself busy practicing. So what did you get?" Olivia winced as she moved her leg on instinct trying to make herself more comfortable. Thankfully the powers were very relaxing when she used them consciously.

"Here, look at all this," Sirius took his new bag off of his shoulder and dumped it on to the bed. Olivia knew it was an enchanted bag instantly because a wrapped package looking distinctly like a broom fell out first, followed by bags of what she assumed was food, and even some winter supplies.

"You stole all of this?" Olivia gasped, turning over one of the wrapped packages in her hand.

"I'd like to say it was borrowed, but," Sirius trailed off, his mischievous smile creeping on to his face. It didn't have the same energy it used to, but Olivia could tell it was genuine.

"What's all here?" Olivia asked as she picked up something else wrapped, intending to open it.

"Not yet, not yet. Christmas is in a week, Olivia, what do you think all of the wrapped things are?" Sirius smirked more, picking up certain packages and putting them back in his bag, "Most of it we can have now, though."

Sirius gave her a winter coat, a pacakage of socks, and a lot of food to have at that moment. She put on the clothes, as it was December after all, and asked him to unwrap the food and put it in the kitchen they'd partially cleaned up.

While he was away, Olivia did a little dance to herself. A Christmas with actual gifts? A Christmas with someone who didn't despise her?

Yes please.

~~

I'm on fire with these chapters. I'm even writing them one in advance, which is why these messages aren't always up to date.

Anyway, please leave feedback and I hope you enjoyed!