Unfinished Business

"You're kidding me." Was Sirius's first surprised reaction.

"I only found out a few months ago," Olivia elaborated.

"But how?" Was Sirius's second surprised reaction.

"How did  I find out?" Olivia tried to clarify.

"How everything!" Was Sirius's third surprised reaction. He waved his hands around as he said it, too, for good measure.

"Voldemort took me from my cradle when he killed my parents and gave me to the Malfoys. I have no idea why, really, and I only found out when Harry's scar triggered a flashback." She tried to explain, the memories themselves feeling far away- it had been a long time since then. How long have I been here?

"He didn't try to kill you?" Sirius questioned, his mind going a million thoughts a second. Wait until I tell Remus. And dammit I want to be there to see his face.

"Not that I know of, but I'm betting  he was trying to get me to be a death eater. That's why he would have given me to the Malfoys," She suggested her theory she'd dreamt up a while ago.

"Does Harry know?" Sirius asked after a second of contemplation. Just thinking of the little boy he'd known so briefly felt like cut to his heart.

"I never got the chance to tell him." Olivia said, reminded again of her missed opportunities. It had all taken a backseat to her powers, and they all had assumed there would be time to tell him later. Now he might never know.

"Don't go getting sad on me again. If we get out of here," he looked around and lowered his voice, "When we get out of here you're going to get every chance to tell him. And once we find Remus we're going to get you out of the Malfoy's filthy hands."

Olivia's tears weren't sad. She didn't even know she was crying when she thought of a caring home, there was just pressure floating away.

"What did I say about crying?" Sirius joked, trying to keep her as happy as possible.

"Sorry, those were happy tears." She said quietly, wiping away the streaks of water.

"Now you can't feel so hopeless in here- dementors won't be able to take that away if they tried," Sirius was actually surprising himself at how good he was at this. Who would've guessed it?

"Thank you. Now I have a question," Olivia said, trying to get off this track as this crying was wearing her out.

"Shoot." Sirius prompted, checking the window to see the sky lightening ever so slowly.

"What exactly is an animagus? All you've said is that's how we're getting out and that's it's some transformation."

Sirius sat back down and took a deep breath, "An animagus is a wizard who can turn into an animal. Technically it's illegal if you don't register with the Ministry, but I figured that didn't matter much," Sirius heard Olivia chuckle and smiled.

"So can you turn into any animal? Or do you choose a certain one?" Olivia asked, feeling like a curious kid she never got to be.

"Your personality chooses it for you, I suppose. Like a patronus. Do you know what a patronus is?" Sirius asked, realising that she might not have learned that in her one semester at Hogwarts.

"Nope." Olivia popped, smiling at Sirius's sigh.

"They're like a magic guardian that take the appearance of an animal. Anyway, I'm kind of scruffy but good at cheering others up, so my animagus form is a dog." Sirius revealed, thinking back to how Remus explained everything to find that he hadn't retained all that much of it. Maybe because I didn't think I'd lose him.

"Oh. So what form will mine be?" Olivia asked, wondering about her personality.

"I guess we'll have to wait and see. After all, you can't really take a test and see- it's a deeply personal thing." Sirius checked the window to find it turning a vivid purple.

"I see. Is it sunrise yet?" Olivia heard Sirius's cot creak under him, and again wondered what he looked like. It didn't matter much to her at this point, but she was curious.

"Not quite yet, but be ready. Is there any dew on your window?" Sirius asked, feeling his window to find only a little moisture there.

"Yeah there's a bit," Olivia said as she observed the water slicked on the concrete exterior.

"Good. Cup at the ready?" Sirius checked his list again, glad to see that there was only the few left on the list. After this, they would just have to let it heat up in the sunlight and mix it around and then they should have their potion.

"Yup. Is that what sunrise looks like?" She asked, looking at the bright sun rays.

"I think so. Collect as much as you can." Sirius prompted, seeing the sun itself peak up over the clouds.

"Got it. What's the next step?" Olivia asked, looking at the odd and smelly concoction.

"Does your window get any sunlight throughout the day?" Sirius crossed his fingers that it did, for there was no way to start a true fire.

"Yeah it gets some until noonish. Should I put the cup in the window?" Olivia asked, connecting the dots. She only knew the very basics of potion-making, but she knew there was usually a fire under the kettle.

"If you can, that's our only option," Sirius muttered the last part under his breath, not wanting to discourage her.

After some careful manoeuvring, and pausing when the dementors brought around breakfast, Olivia was finally able to wedge the cup into place by having it at a slight angle. She turned it every so often as to try and keep it evenly done, but didn't know if it was really working. At sundown, where it had been taken down already for dinner coming around, Sirius prompted her to start stirring it.

"What colour is the potion supposed to be?" Olivia asked as she swirled around the murky contents. It had somehow made a foggy teal colour, so she assumed some magic was at work.

"It should be a bright blue. What color is it now?" Sirius inquired, remembering how much of the odd liquid he had chugged back in the day.

"It's darker and murkier than that. Should I heat it up again tomorrow? How long does it usually simmer?" Olivia kept stirring it, but the colour didn't get might brighter. The fogginess, however, did start to dissipate.

"Yes let's try that, i don't remember exactly how long it took," mostly because I've never made it but she doesn't need to know, "Now just to warn you- you'll have to drink a little of that every day for another month while reciting Amato Animo Animato Animagus." Sirius smiled briefly at her groan, "But don't worry about that quite yet. Now, are you feeling up to trying to sleep?" He inquired, genuine concern resonating through the Stone halls.

"Yeah I'll try. Goodnight, Sirius." Olivia said, before muttering her memorised, "The beast within me is ready to come out. And tonight, I will let it run free."

Sirius heard his mantra being used and chuckled silently, before replying quietly, "Goodnight, Liv."

~~

This book is costing me so much sleep but I don't even care.

Well I say that, but feedback to keep me going would really be appreciated.

Anyway, please leave feedback and I hope you enjoyed!