Lessons.

Lessons.

After November 1st, 1981

"O-L-I-V-I-A spells what?" Narcissa asked the two six-year-olds sitting on the carpet in front of her. They both scratched down the letters in their notebooks.

The young girl's messy black curls had been pulled back into a tight French braid, tied off in  a green ribbon. The braid bounced around as she raised her hand high, a few seconds before Draco.

"Olivia!" She chirped as Narcissa gestured to her. Draco stuck his tongue out at her- he had that one!

"Good job honey. Now what does M-A-L-F-O-Y spell?" Olivia raised her hand once again, even though she wasn't quite sure. Draco wasn't happy- he knew that one too!

"Yes, dear?"

"Mm-ah-el-f-o-ee?" She sounded out the letters slowly.

"No you dumbo! It's Malfoy!" Draco corrected, smiling at his mother. She shook her head at him, letting the crying little girl run off to her room.

"Now Draco, that's not very nice. Practice your alphabet, I'll be right back," Narcissa ordered her son. Draco scowled- he hated practicing the alphabet, it's so tedious. Yet he still followed his orders, sounding out the letters written out on the top of the chalkboard.

Meanwhile, Narcissa knocked softly on Olivia's door, hearing soft sobs from inside. She creaked the old oak door open, stepping inside the drafty room. The deep floors creaked under her kitten heals as Narcissa made her way across the room. The bearskin rug was laid out under the end of the mahogany bed, barely deafening the creaking. Olivia sat on top of her Egyptian cotton sheets, with her lavish green comforter wrapped around her.

"Go away," Olivia sniffled, but Narcissa sat down on the edge of the bed anyway, ducking under the emerald green canopy draping.

"Honey, you know Draco didn't mean it, he just doesn't like not being the smartest one around, that's all," Narcissa wiped the tears away from Olivia's face.

"But why does he hate me for it?" Olivia asked as she calmed down.

"He doesn't hate you-," Narcissa started but was cut off by Draco bursting in the room.

"Olivia! I drew you a deer," Draco proclaimed, handing her a pencil sketch of Olivia's favourite animal. She always loved to watch them out the windows of the manor, and Draco knew it would cheer her up.

"Thanks Draco! It's really pretty," Olivia thanked, hugging him with the fight completely forgotten. Narcissa smiled at the simplicity of the interaction- no drama, no grudges, just forgiveness.

"Now let's get back to lessons, you two," Narcissa chuckled, bringing the two cheery children back into the lessons room, Olivia and Draco skipping and holding hands through the halls.

~

"Now, let's review, what exactly is a muggle?" Lucius asked the two nine-year-olds, whacking the chalkboard with his teaching-stick-thing.

"Filthy people who don't have magic," the two chanted the phrase that was scorched into their minds.

"That's right. Now, what's the first rule about interacting with muggles?" Draco raised his hand, "Yes, my son?"

"Alway know they are below us," Draco recited from memory. Olivia sighed, she could never quite memorise these, yet they were natural to Draco.

"That's number two Draco, but I'll take it. Olivia? Number One?" Lucius tried again. Olivia hummed and tried to discreetly check her notes, "Oh come on, Olivia, anything?"