Animal Friends

It was still three weeks until the start of the semester, so Olivia knew Harry couldn't have much to do at the Leaky Cauldron. Was he staying there all three weeks? Was he just here to buy his books? Why had Fudge visited him? Olivia had no idea.

After following him for the first day, Olivia decided to see one last thing before reporting back to Sirius. She hadn't seen him around, and assumed that he had returned home. She just hoped she could remember her way back.

The second day a maid had cleaned Harry's room while he was out. Olivia waited eagerly and saw her open the window cheerfully, motioning to Hedwig. The owl seemed to nod but didn't move as the maid smiled and left the room. Olivia was ecstatic, and flapped into the room to come face-to-face with Hedwig.

Who are you, and why are you following Harry? A strong female voice asked as Hedwig, easily twice Olivia's size, looked over her. Olivia was startled at the voice and hopped backwards, almost falling off the bedside table she had landed on.

Hedwig, it's me. Olivia. Do you remember me? We didn't interact much before. Olivia trailed off. Truthfully, she'd only seen Hedwig three times- twice on the Hogwarts Express, and once on Olivia's first day of school. They hadn't been properly introduced either- Harry had just mentioned Hedwig's name briefly and Olivia never even had a chance to pet her.

I don't remember you. Hedwig started off by saying, and her maternal tone once again startled Olivia, But he has mentioned you. Why have you not spoken to him?

Olivia looked down, wondering the same thing. She mentally shrugged, I'm scared of how he'll react. But that's not why I wanted to talk to you.

Olivia could feel Hedwig raise a metaphorical eyebrow and continued, Have you met Scabbers? The rat that Ron keeps?

Hedwig stiffened at the name, I do not trust him.

Olivia mentally cheered, Good. He's responsible for Harry's parents' death, and I think he's out to get Harry.

Do you have proof of this?Hedwig asked, sounding suspicious but not against the idea.

Just an account from someone who is there. Olivia couldn't figure out to explain it, so she skipped over it, If you see Scabbers, please keep him away from Harry. Even if you don't believe me, you know Scabbers is no good.

Hedwig nodded, Why can't you do this? Once you talk to Harry you can tell him.

Olivia jumped at the door creaking as the maid came in to sweep. She didn't notice Olivia at first, and Olivia was ready to get out of there, I have to get back to where it's safe, but I'll be back soon. Keep him safe, please.

Don't worry, Olivia, I'll always keep Harry safe. Hedwig promised as Olivia flew out the open window, the maid cursing her all the way out. After all, now she had to clean that table again.

~

Olivia rested at Grimmauld Place for the rest of the weeks, mostly. When Sirius would let her go (he apparently had gone sick with worry when she was gone before) she would check up on Harry and talk to Hedwig. Hedwig wasn't around the Weasley much, however, and didn't see Scabbers at all. It was the last day of break when Olivia convinced Sirius to let her look over Harry one last time. He agreed, and she flew out to find Harry Ron and Hermione sitting at Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlor.

"-a magical creature shop over there," she heard Harry say as she perched on a nearby multicoloured umbrella, "You could see if they've got anything for Scabbers, and Hermione can get her owl."

Olivia flew into the shop as they paid for their ice cream- luckily the shop owner had kept her windows open. She looked around the room, searching for any loose pets who could get to Scabbers easier than she could. Then she saw it.

It was a giant- well, giant to rook Olivia- orange cat, obviously with Kneazle blood. Seeing the cat reminded her of Czar- who could be anywhere, for all Olivia knew. Shaking those thoughts aside, seeing the cat strolling the higher shelves free of caging felt like fate.

Excuse me, Olivia started, hopping over to the curious cat.

The cat was obviously startled, and wailed at her GET BACK IN YOUR CAGE.

I'm not a pet here! I'm just passing through, but I need help with something only a cat could do. Olivia knew she had to appeal to the cat's wanted side, and thought of her words carefully as Ron, Harry, and Hermione walked into the store. Thankfully there was someone ahead of them, so Olivia still had time.

Something only a cat could do? Well there are plenty of cats around, I'm sure they could help you. The cat brushed off, turning around to look at the new visitors.

But it's such an important job, only a cat with true Kneazle breeding could do it right. And I can tell how well-bred you are. Olivia pleaded again, praying the cat would listen to her.

The cat seemed to sigh, but still seemed interested, What is it you want?

See that rat the boy has? Olivia said as Ron placed Scabbers on the counter, That rat is a filthy traitor. He betrayed his best friends to be killed, and without your help, he'll get away without punishment. Can you help me? I can't catch him myself.

I knew he was no good, I can feel it. I'm half-kneazle, after all. The cat was ready to pounce, and looked at Olivia briefly before leaping down not on to the counter, but on to Ron's head first.

"OUCH!" Ron cried out, buckling under the weight. The cat propelled itself at Scabbers next, clearly on a mission.

"NO, CROOKSHANKS, NO!" The shop owner called, but Scabbers was already out the door before anything could be done.

He's getting away! Crookshanks, as the cat was called, said to Olivia in a bitter tone, I'm sorry, but I cannot leave the building.

Olivia was about to respond when Hermione picked up Crookshanks, asking the shop owner about him. The cat was obviously very excited, and purred in Hermione's arms at the attention.

Thank you for trying, Crookshanks. Olivia said to him as Hermione was getting the money out to buy the ginger cat, And where you're going he'll be there too. Thank you for your help.

I'll get him yet then, bird friend. Will I see you again? The cat asked as Hermione also bought food for the magical cat.

I believe so. My name is Olivia, and I do owe you. Have fun at Hogwarts. Olivia never thought she'd be jealous of a cat, but there she was.

Meet me at Hogwarts, bird friend, and I shall bring you the head of the traitor. Until then. Crookshanks said nothing more as Hermione took him in her arms and left the shop.

Olivia fluttered out after them, but they all just returned to the Leaky Cauldron for the remainder of the day. She watched as the Weasley clan, now with Harry and Hermione, climbed into two probably Ministry-issued cars and made their way presumably to King's Cross Station.

Olivia, however, didn't follow them. She and Sirius already had a plan to get into Hogwarts, and now wasn't the time with all the students and chaos. She watched the cars go, and decided to tip her toes in the water as Harry pulled away.

Please be careful. She advised her secret twin, watching him look around inside the moving car. He didn't see Olivia, though, for she had already begun her flight to Grimmauld, feeling hopeless- she realised in the moment that nothing about her life was ever going to be normal.

~~

Guess who got a copy of PoA for research!

Now the story is going to have a definite path and everything, though I'm not going to rewrite the entire book. Just all the Sirius (and now Olivia) stuff, really. So expect lots of time jumps, because I am no J. K. Rowling.

Anyway, please leave feedback and I hope you enjoyed!