Ready For School?

Ready For School?

Summer of 1992

"What's in the mail, mum?" Draco asked as the two youngsters greeted Narcissa at the door.

"Why your Hogwarts letters have finally arrived!" Narcissa responded happily, handing the letters to the soon to be students. Draco grinned as he tore open his letter, while Olivia grimaced, not wanting to agitate her swollen black eye any further.

"We'll have to take you to Diagonal alley for supplies," Lucius cut in as he saw the letters,"But first, we must dye Olivia's mess of hair,"

Olivia twirled a stray black strand between her fingers, "But why? I like my black hair,"

"Well it simply won't cut it if we want to look prim and proper for school," Narcissa made up. In reality, no one could even suspect her true parentage or the dark lord would have their heads, "Don't worry my dear, we can have a whole makeover day,"

Olivia nodded timidly and sighed as she was dragged away. Mrs. Malfoy dragged her into her bathroom, whipping up all the lotions and what have you for the so called makeover.
Narcissa picked up the dyes she had conjured and studied them.

"Now what colour do we want, eh? Black we can't do," she tossed the black dye into the bin, "and platinum blonde won't work very well either," another tossed, "Red will make you look like a Weasley," another tossed, "So we could do strawberry blonde or auburn, what do you think?"

"Strawberry blonde sounds nice," Olivia had no idea what either of the two colours were.

"We'll have to bleach your hair then, " Narcissa chanted a quick little speed and Olivia's hair was suddenly at light as hers. They both observed the striking difference and laughed at how strange it looked on her. Taking the magical salve in her hands, she handed Olivia the packaging before slathering the goop all over Olivia's mane.

"Never shows roots and highlights in the sun, Natural Revamp hair dye will make you look like a whole other person," Olivia read aloud.

"Looks like I picked the good stuff, then," Narcissa tried to joke. Olivia's hair was soon loaded with the product, so they wrapped her head in a towel and started on the next thing.

"Now, my dear, if there was one thing about yourself you could change, what would it be?" Narcissa asked, pulling out her book of glamour spells for glamorous witches.

"I mean, I'd love to have freckles. I've always loved freckles," Olivia admitted. In all honesty, she could remember her mom's freckled arms holing her and wanted to have something to remember her by.

"Freckles freckles... Here we are," Narcissa waved her wand and chanted the simple spell, and Olivia was then covered in little dots from head to toe, "Now let's see how your hair turned out,"

Narcissa slowly untapped the towel and pulled out the clips. She gave a quick countdown and then used the finishing spell, and Olivia couldn't believe her eyes. Gone was her pale skin and black fuzzy mane, now she had a spray of cute freckles and springy blonde curls.

"I love it. Thank you Ms. Malfoy!" Olivia praised and she grinned at herself in the mirror. With her teeth having been fixed ages ago, she looked straight out of a magazine, well, aside from her black eye.

"My pleasure dear. Now when we head into Diagon Alley tomorrow we can get you your school uniform," Narcissa trailed of as she flicked her wand and cleaned the bathroom, "But tonight we have guests, so let's get you ready for that,"

Narcissa pulled the girl's hair back in a fishtail braid as always, and they picked through her expensive closet to find her a long sleeve black dress that reached her ankles with a green ribbon belt to tie in with her hair. Slipping on some Mary Janes, Olivia wandered out into the secondary parlour room where she and Draco played. He was already dressed in a black vest and dress slacks, with a white button down shirt and silver tie. The two both took a look at each other's outfits and cracked a smile.