The First Night at Hogwarts

September 1, 1991

The boats were rickety, and quite awkward as Draco and Olivia accompanied Crabbe and Goyle, two boys who probably couldn't even read, if Draco's and Olivia's past experiences with them were any sign of intelligence. Their side of the boat seemed to want to get to know the lake water better, so Draco and Olivia leaned back slightly to balance it out.

"Being rude to Harry won't make you any better friends with him," Olivia commented as she saw Draco staring off with a distracted look in his eyes. He turned back to glare at her.

"I wasn't rude! I don't understand what I said wrong!" Draco exclaimed.

"Maybe insulting his mother," Olivia suggested, rolling her eyes at him.

"I just called her a filthy mudblood, which is what she was," Draco said, but even as the words spelled from his mouth he realised how harsh they must have seemed.

"Once we get into the castle you need to apologise," Olivia scolded, before turning to bask in the glory of the grand castle. She seemed to be a bit late to the party however, because almost as soon as she turned to look they were leaving. She sighed and climbed out, still trying to take in the sights of the demented forest to the majestic castle.

"Welcome all firs' 'ears!" The giant called off from far in front of them. Draco snickered at how butchered his sentences were, before Olivia shushed him. The little staring contest that followed prevented them from hearing the rest of the giant's words.

They moved into a side room of Hogwarts, where everyone was packed into a small space. Eventually, a stern looking woman came in and began to address everyone.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," said the woman, "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory and spend free time in your house common room.
"The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule-breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup, a great honour. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours.
'"The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarted yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting."

"I will return when we are ready for you," said Professor McGonagall, as some of the student around Olivia whispered, "Please wait quietly."

"I'm going to get into Slytherin, I can feel it," Draco tried to convince Olivia and himself. She sighed at him, but secretly hoped she would at least be in his house. If they were in the same house then Mr. Malfoy wouldn't punish her for it.

Stop thinking about him, a voice popped up in her mind. She jumped for a second before realising it was just Harry. He was chatting with the two from earlier on the other side of the room, but still managed to message her, interesting.

Sorry, I guess. Are my thoughts that loud? Olivia suddenly felt very self-conscious. Was she thinking too loud? Can you think too loud?

No, but I could feel how terrified you were and just assumed it was him. What's got you worked up? The sorting? Harry questioned, wondering if anyone else in the room had this strange ability.