Chapter Eleven: Metropolis

Metropolis, 12/18/15, 3:21 PM

Ten days later...

Kyle shield his eyes as he stumbled through the rubble. He looked up at the dark sky as Warworld loomed overhead. He lifted his ring up using it to create constructs to help him stay standing. He was weaker than ever now. Food was low, water was running out, and the world was in a state of god damn chaos.

Darkseid's invasion... It decimated half the globe, he took the world by storm by attacking major cities with huge swarms of parademons. They were too much for the smaller Justice League to handle, their defense collapsed after three days of fighting. The Green Lanterns had attempted to make an effort to escape and warn the guardians, but it had not worked and they had nearly been captured. Prisoners were being taken to Warworld as Darkseid commanded his forces from there, he had not even set foot on the planet yet since arriving.

Kyle remembered the harsh fighting, as one parademon ripped apart an entire army. Two could take down an entire squad of heroes. He thought of his friends...Oh god...His friends, scattered all around the globe now. They had been the only true defense for Earth; they had been ripped apart just as easily.

The Team had been separated in the days of the attack. Darkseid targeted the League especially in order to deal with them. Kyle had been with Kid Devil, he was captured too. He traveled to Metropolis where many others had gone as well, now they were either captured or dead. Darkseid was controlling the entire earth with his legions, hunting down remaining heroes and rebels against his rule. He was still winning though, despite the resistance Darkseid had proved that he won.

Kyle thought of those that he knew were dead. In the first day alone, Hawkman had been killed in Blüdhaven. Tempest or Garth from Atlantis had joined the fight to help along with Aquagirl, but he too had been killed. But despite these losses, Kyle had found hope in friends. He met up with Terra, Wildebeast, and Martian Manhunter in Metropolis. He was headed back to their temporary hideout.

He reached the old mall where they had been sheltered for the past day and a half. Kyle entered quickly as the swarms moved through the skies combing the area for any survivors.

"Kyle? See anything out there worth sharing?" Terra asked walking out from one of the stores as he walked in.

"Nothing very special, just the same thing as everyday now." Kyle sighed as he moved over to her, "What are we going to do? We can't fight back or we'll die or get captured!"

"We keep surviving." Terra shook her head, "We can do this. We are the stronger ones here."

"Keep telling yourself that." Kyle sighed as he walked into the store seeing Martian Manhunter laying against the wall and Wildebeast standing in the corner.

Martian Manhunter had been injured in the second day too. He was fighting off a parademon when he go cut in the stomach, nearly bled out if not for Wildebeast finding him and saving his life. Then they met up with Terra and found Kyle. That all brought them to the here and now.

"We need...We need to get back to the Cave..." Martian Manhunter whispered under his breath.

"The Cave was destroyed in the attack." Kyle sighed as he sat down next to the Martian, "Remember? They nearly killed us all right then, if not for Doctor Fate."

"I just wish we had a way of contacting everyone." Terra sighed as well, her blonde hair had dust sprinkled throughout it. She looked exhausted and out of hope, Kyle needed a lot more of that now.

"Look..." He breathed in as he began, "I know things aren't exactly looking our way, but I know we can survive this. We've gotten through worse, haven't we?"