The Lights

Tris POV

After dinner Tobias leads me to the train tracks.

"What are we doing here?" I ask.

It's becoming late, and the sky is getting darker.

"I want to take you on a train that nobody in Dauntless really knows of. The one that runs during this time takes you around the outside of the city, so you can see all of the lights." He adds, "The view is beautiful."

"Won't we get in trouble for leaving?" I ask.

"I won't let that happen," he answers, smiling.

I smile and hear the approaching train. Tobias runs along it easily and jumps on, putting his hand out for me. I grab it, and he lifts me in with ease.

He sits along the wall. "It'll be awhile though before we get out far enough."

I nod and turn around, looking out the door. I think that any view in this city is beautiful, but I'm scared to think about what's beyond it.

I look away from the door and sit beside Tobias. He rests his hand on my thigh, and I lean my head on his shoulder.

I guess I fall asleep because I feel Tobias squeeze my thigh gently. "Tris, we're here," he says softly.

I nod and take his hand that pulls me to the door. Tobias was right. The view takes my breath away.

We're along the fence, so we can see everything in front of us for miles. I find myself grinning, and I glance at Tobias.

"Every time I come here, it has the same effect on me," he says, looking out. "I wanted to share it with you."

His gaze moves to meet mine. "Thank you," I reply.

We kiss in the edge of the doorway, holding onto the sides of the train.

I pull away, smiling, and focus on the view. We stand there for another five minutes before the city disappears behind the tall buildings.

"That was beautiful," I say. Tobias nods. "How often do you come here?"

"I haven't been here since initiate training," he pauses. "I didn't really need something beautiful to look at because I had you," he smiles before I catch on.

I laugh at his compliment. "Well thank you," I answer, still laughing.

He pulls me against him and kisses my forehead as I laugh at his joke.

"It'll be awhile before we're back," he tells me. "Are you still tired?"

I nod into his chest, yawning. He bends down and picks up my legs, and I wrap them around his waist. He sits down along the wall, and my head falls to his shoulder, using it as a pillow.

The last thing I remember is Tobias turning his head to kiss my neck once and his gentle hand running over my back.

I wake up when I feel Tobias try to stand up. I drop my legs from his waist, standing on my own. My eyes try to adjust to the darkness.

A small light shines in the distance, signaling the top of the Dauntless building.

"You good?" he asks. I nod in response.