Shopping

Tris POV

When we arrive at the dining hall, I spot our friends sitting at our usual table. Chris notices us and waves. We head over and sit down, Tobias on my left and the rest of our friends on my right.

Chris rolls her eyes at me when I can't stop smiling. "So why were you guys late?" she winks at me.

I shrug and answer, "We took a nap because Four was tired from the trip." I glance at Tobias and see him struggling to hold back a grin. We both know that's not the whole truth.

Chris just says, "Uh huh." She obviously doesn't believe me. I'd tell her if we were alone; she's my best friend after all. I smile at her, as if to say 'later.'

We eat our dinner of chicken and mashed potatoes with small talk in between. The meal vaguely reminds me of Abnegation.

Tobias' hand rests on the inside of my upper thigh under the table, occasionally rubbing and squeezing. It reminds me of earlier. I really shouldn't be thinking about it in the middle of dinner, but I can't help it. I can't get enough of having his hands on me, even though I was scared a few days ago. A big change, and I'm proud of myself.

Marlene yells from a few seats down, "Hey Tris! All of us girls are going shopping after we finish eating. You in?"

I debate it. I know I have to talk to Tobias tonight, but I doubt that we'll be out late. Plus I need some new bras and underwear for when Tobias and I get to that stage. "Yeah!" I yell back to her over the screaming voices in the dining hall.

Just then Zeke hollers at Tobias, "Yo Four! We're going out to drink tonight. You comin?

I glance over at him, and his eyes search mine for my thoughts. I really don't want him to. I was honestly looking forward tonight. I thought this would be the night that we figure things out. But then again, he hasn't hung out with his friends and I feel bad. I can only find the strength to give him a tight smile.

He clasps his hand with mine and squeezes it reassuringly. He calls back, "I'll tag along, but I'm not really in the mood for drinking tonight."

Uriah shouts to him, "That's fine! We'll need someone to walk us home anyways!"

Tobias smiles. I bring my lips to his ear and whisper a 'Thank You.'

He whisper back in mine, "You're more important, and I know how much this means to us." I smile gratefully. He understands how much I want this to work out.

We finish eating and I say to Tobias, "I'll meet you at home at 9?"

He kisses me softly. "See you later." Before we part he winks at me, making me grin.

The guys head off and Chris comes up to me. "Alright, spill!"

We start walking to the Pit. Marlene, Shauna, and Lynn are all way ahead of us talking. I blush. "Okay I guess what I told you wasn't the whole truth," I start.

She laughs, "Well obviously. Neither of you could stop smiling!"

"Yeah, yeah," I roll my eyes. "We made out after we came back from the train tracks, then we took a nap, and then we made out again before coming to eat." I smile at my memory of it.

Chris grins. "And how was it?" she asks, giddy with excitement.

"Perfect. He knew just what to do. And I felt different too, like more confident."

She nods. "So how did Four react? Anything new?" She wiggles her eyebrows at me.

I think about that and shrug. "I don't know. I think he liked that I wasn't holding back too much. I mean he probably wanted to go further, but he knew I didn't. So it was kinda a win-win. And the last part is none of your business!" I laugh and punch her arm.