Chapter Six: In Plain Sight

I woke up in an elevator. I was in Daryl's arms. They were warm and his bicep was big. I started poking it and it made me giggle. Everyone then looked at me and I got quiet. Daryl tried putting me down, but I clung to him. I was still scared.

"Doctor's always go around packing heat like that?" Daryl asked.

"There were plenty left lying around. I familiarized myself." The new man replied. He had orange hair and was wearing a T-shirt. He had a big gun in his hand like Shane.

"Are We underground?" Carol asked, she seemed nervous. She held Sophia close to her side.

"Are you claustrophobic?"

"A little."

"Try not to think about it." The man said and the doors opened. "Vi, bring up the lights in the big room." The lights went on. It was a big room with computers and chairs with wheels. There was a giant screen too.

"Welcome to zone 5." He said.

"Where is everybody?" I asked. He looked at me and put his hands in the air.

"It is just me here."

"What about the person you were speaking with? Vi?" Lori said, with hope leaving her eyes.

"Vi say hello to our guests. Tell them...welcome." He said with a smile.

"Hello, guests. Welcome." A computer said. We all look at the doctor, who seemed sad.

"I'm all that's left. Sorry. Now I need blood samples." He took out a box and started setting up stuff. I hid behind Daryl as soon as he put me down. I didn't like needles. They hurt and The doctors always stabbed me a lot. I hated them. Andrea was before me, I was last.

"What's the point? If we were infected, we'd all be running a fever." Andrea said. She was irritated.

"I've already broken every rule in the book letting you in here. Let me just at least be through." He said. Andrea sighed and rolled her sleeve down. She got up and stumbled. "You okay?"

"She hasn't eaten in days, none of us have." Jaquci said, she was sad too.

"I can help with that, I just need the little girl now." He said and pointed to me. I whimpered and shook my head. I grabbed Daryl's leg tighter.

"Mason, lets go." Daryl said irritatedly. He picked me up and put me in the chair. The man took my arm and I squirmed. I then started flailing and kicked him in the chest. Shane was holding me now. I cried even harder.

"Stop. Let her go." The man said. Shane let me go and the man leaned in closer.

"I saw your arm, you have Asbergers?" I looked at my arm and realized Mama's writing was still on it. I nodded and wiped my tears away. "How about your Daddy sits with you while I take your blood?" i looked at him confused and he was looking at Daryl.

"She ain't mine." Daryl said.

"Daryl, just do it." Lori snapped. Daryl sighed and put me on his lap. I put my arms out and closed my eyes. I moved to Daryl's chest, listening to his heartbeat. I started crying when I felt the needle. Daryl rubbed my back.

"It's alright Mason, just uh calm down." He didn't know what he was doing but it helped. I wrapped my arms around his neck and hugged him tight.

"Pinkie Promise remember?" He whispered in my ear making me smile.

---------------------------------------

Mr. Jenner made us food and I got to drink soda. We had spigetti and Meatballs. I stood next to Daryl and stuffed my face. This was my favorite food.