Chapter Thirty-One: A little Smile can go a long way

Third Person POV

Mason woke up in Daryl's warm arms. Everyone was still asleep. The windows were hard to see out of, due to the weather outside. The whole room was silent, with only a chorus of soft snores and T-Dog's occasional loud yawn in his sleep. Lori snuggled against her husband, who had his back to her. Maggie and Glenn slept wrapped around each other, with love and warmth. Hershel held his youngest daughter close, with Carl pressed against Beth. Carol and T slept opposite ways with there heads against each others. Daryl was still asleep against the window frame, holding Mason tight. 

Mason wiggled her way out of Daryl's arms and started to walk away. Her bare feet connecting with the frozen wooden floor. Her steps echoed in the old creaking house.

"Where ya going?" Daryl mumbled with one eye open. He was a light sleeper.

"Bathroom." She said softly, so no one else would wake up. Daryl nodded and closed his eyes. Mason began to walk down the hallway till she looked outside. She saw the snow. It was unusual for Georgia to get snow, but the world ending could be a factor. Mason approached the door and turned the cold metal knob. She opened the door, and the brisk wind hit her.

Snow had littered the ground, grass covered in frost. The once dark and gloomy world, had a beautiful shine around it. The untouched snow sparkles against the sunlight. Icicles dripped of the leafless trees, and the branches held a coat of froze water. The small bushes that were once prickly and bare, had drapes of white sparkling snow creating a beautiful plant once more.

 Mason smiled at the sight. She remembered making a Snowman with her parents back in New York. Mason looks around for walkers, before running into the fresh snow. She tossed it in the air and tried to catch it with her tongue. Mason smiled and began her attempt at a snowman.

Beth woke up to the chilly weather. The past few weeks had been tough on her. She didn't know how to kill a walker, she was too scared. Beth looked out the window and Saw Mason playing. Beth never really seen snow before. Seeing how much fun Mason was having, made her excited. She woke up Carl and brought him out.

Daryl looked around to find Mason in the room. Her, Carl and Beth were nowhere. Daryl looked outside and he saw them in the snow. Daryl opened the door and started moving his arms to get their attention. He couldn't shout out to them, it would attract walkers. The adults heard Daryl's grunts and woke up. 

Lori, Carol and T-Dog were the first to see. The three of them smiled at the sight. Seeing them be kids for once. Maggie, Glenn and Hershel came over. Hershel put a hand on Daryl, to get him to stop. Rick saw and was about to yell for them to come back in. But Hershel stopped him.

"This is what I mean Rick. Keep this alive." Hershel tells him. He points to the smiles on the kids faces. "Let them have this."

Rick crosses his arms and sighs. T-Dog ran out into the snow to help them with their makeshift Snowman. Lori, Maggie and Glenn joined in. Rick stood in the doorway looking out. He hasn't seen Carl smile like this since Sophia. It made him happy, but the fear of the walkers was more powerful. Daryl sat at the door and Carol approached him.

"You should be out there with her." Carol said to him as sat next to him. He scoffed and started fiddling with his arrows.

"I don't do this kid shit." He muttered. Carol sighed.

"She looks up to you. Be there for her." She encouraged. Daryl shook his head.

"She ain't mine. Not my problem." He growled. He didn't mean it but he had to keep his rough exterior. He ain't soft like Merle would tell him.

"Now, we all know that isn't true." Carol told him. "She is yours. Act like it."

Daryl was about to snap at her when everyone heard a sound. The sound no one has ever truly heard before. It was laughter and happiness. Not forced or fake. Not put on for a show. Pure laughter. And it came from Little Mason. She was laughing as she threw a snow/dirt ball at T-Dog. Everyone was shocked.

"That...." Hershel said to Rick, while pointing to Smiling Mason. "That is what I mean. What you need to protect and preserve."

"See she is happy, you should be there." Carol tells Daryl. He just rolls his eyes.

"Leave me be wo-" Daryl couldn't finish, because a cold muddy ball hit him in the back of the head. Daryl turns to see a giggling Mason.

"I got you Daddy!" She laughed. His body stiffens at the name. He didn't feel fully comfortable with that name in front of everyone. He hesitated as the little girl giggled and waited. Carol sighs and smacks him upside the head, making Daryl turn and hiss at the pain.

"Don't be a dick. Go be with her." Carol scolds. Daryl tried not to, but he chuckled slightly. He takes a handful of the dirty snow and throws it at Mason. She runs away, but Daryl runs after and grabs her. He throws her in the air and her laughter and smile grew.

The group watched the two. No one has ever seen Daryl or Mason like this. It made them happy. To see the happiness in this horrid world. Daryl actually had a real smile on his face, and Mason was clutching her stomach from laughing to hard.

But the fun could only last for so long. Carl shouted and pointed, Walkers. They came towards Mason's laughter. Everyone started to rush to the house for cover, but not Mason. Mason made a snowball and threw it at the walkers. It hit one, and it fell.

Beth mustered up the courage, and did the same. It wasn't killing a walker, but it was something. A step. Carl and Lori joined it as well as Carol. It was something new. A sign of hope that in this small destroyed world, there is time for smiles and laughter. Time for love and warmth.

And a sign of a new page for someone.

================================

I thought this was needed, please tell me if you like it. I thought it was cool, but I need to know others opinions.

Thanks for all the reads and votes. In all honesty, I never thought this story would get over 1k. Thank you for making that a reality. I really appreciate it.

~Charlie