Chapter Eighteen: Little Mason

Third Person POV

Little Mason just sat there. Her brown hair flowing with the wind, her cheeks stained with tears. She held her mother's hand, trying to remember the warmth it brought her. The walker laid there. It sides half eaten and oozing black goo. The once pink and comforting face turned gray, with the yellow eyes staring at the sky. The walkers brown hair splattered around her, just like the hole in her head. Mason had no clue who shot her, but all she saw was her mother reaching out. Not a walker, not a monster, a mother who cared and loved her.

Rick Grimes was staring at little Mason. He had so much on his mind, Shane and Hershel at each other throats. The Baby inside his wife, that may not even be his. However, this little girl seemed to be far away from it. Her mind never focusing on the bad things in her life. She never spoke of her parents, if she spoke at all, and she always tried to make everyone smile. She mad Hershel a drawing to apologize for his horse that Daryl stole. He found the horse afterwards, but It made Hershel smile. Think of Daryl, he wondered why he wasn't with the child. Daryl had taken responsibility for her, even gave her his last name. When Mason went missing, Daryl lost it. He fought tooth and nail to find her. He even threatened Rick for leaving her there. Where was he?

Daryl Dixon was never one for showing his feelings. After he lost his girls, the three girls who actually cared for him, Daryl shut everyone out. Then Merle was the last straw. Daryl then met Mason. Mason wasn't afraid of him like everyone else was. When He was Angry, she didn't take it personal. She just waited for him to come back. That little girl reminded him of his Ava. Ava wasn't his daughter, but he raised her right next to Alex. Mason gave Daryl hope of finding his family. When Sophia went missing, it felt like Mikayla all over again. Mikayla was Thirteen when they met, and he create a bind with her. She was like his little sister, his best friend. Mikayla got lost in the woods once, running from her mother. Her mother was like Daryl's Father. Daryl found her by the creek, but the fear in his chest was too much to bare if he lost her. When Sophia came out of that barn, it was that stab to the heart that made him lose it. So he kept and eye on Carol. Carol was like another Mother for him, someone who gave a damn even if he pushed her away. He kept an eye on her, making sure she wouldn't do anything rash due to the loss of Sophia.

Carol Peletier stared out the window of the RV. Carol actually had hope of finding her little Sophia. When they found her, she would protect Sophia. She would not just stand on the side lines like she did when Ed beat them. When they found Little Mason, Carol knew Sophia would be found. Just not like this. Her heart hardened. That was not Sophia, Sophia never became a walker. From this point on Carol would not be a wimp. She would not rely on everyone. She would be strong, never letting this world take anything from her again.

Glenn Rhee held his girl Maggie Greene close in his arms. She had lost her family twice now. Glenn didn't know how to show his love, but he loved her. Now they would be separated again. Hershel kicked them off the farm. Maggie looked into Glenn's eyes, reading the sorrow he felt for her and his group. She looked at the little girl in the white dress, the girl everyone turn their backs too. She nodded at Glenn to go get her, and left for the house to be with her family. Her broken family. Glenn walked over to Mason. All the walkers were cleared around her, no one talked to her or touched the walker she held close. Glenn sits next to her, only hearing the little girl talk to her mother. Tell her mother stories of Daryl and the group. Talking to her about things her mom would tell her. Mason held the gray skinned body tightly to her light pink body. Glenn knew she would never listen t reason, the girl was cracked inside. This Five year old girl watched her mother die twice, not able to say goodbye either time. Glen picked up Mason. She screamed and flailed, calling to her Mama to help her. Andrea and T-Dog picked up the body and brought it to the graves. 

Dale Horvath saw the struggle Glenn had. Dale never had kids of his own, but was very good with them. He took Mason from Glenn's arms. She didn't fight Dale, she instead cried into his shoulder. He rubbed her back and let her cry it out. Dale remembers when he lost his wife to cancer, how all he need was someone to cry too. He admired this little girl. Five years old and she has done more than some people in this group. She killed walkers, handled a Dixon, stayed safe, but most of all she kept hope alive. Jenner would have never opened those doors and Andrea would never have come if it wasn't for this little girl. But now, she was broken. Broken to the point she needed others. Her disabilities made it hard for her, but she had a family here. Dale would make sure of it. He held the new little Dixon in his arms, hoping to calm her down and give her a reason to keep fighting.

=================================

How did you like this chapter? I decided to go a different route and I need feedback!

Thanks For Reading

~Charlie