Chapter Eleven: Shot heard round the world

Everyone seemed really happy to see me except Andrea and Carol, but Carol was just upset that I wasn't with Sophia, and Sophia was still out there. Rick told us to split into two groups. Him, Shane and Carl would look one way while the rest of us headed back to the highway. Daryl was leading with me and Glenn on his tail. Lori, Carol and Andrea were lagging behind us. I was holding Glenn's hand and holding Ika in the other. We were all kinds quiet till Carol spoke up.

"So this is it? This is the whole plan?" Carol says as we trudge along the leafy ground.

"I guess the plan is to whittle us down into smaller and smaller groups." Daryl tells her.

"Carrying Knives and pointy sticks." Lori added.

"I see you have a gun." Andrea spats out. Lori turns around and stops. She was mad.

"Why, you want it? Here take it." She shoves the gun into Andrea's hands. "I'm sick of the looks you're giving me. All of you." She turns to Carol and softens her voice. "Honey, I can't imagine what you're going through. And I would do anything to stop it, but you have to stop blaming Rick. It is in your face every time you look at him. When Mason and Sophia ran he didn't hesitate, did he? I don't know that any of us would have gone after them the way he did..." She then got louder so everyone could hear her. "Or made the hard decisions that he had to make. or that anybody could have don it differently. Anybody? Y'all look to him and then blame him when he isn't perfect. If you can do this without him, go right ahead. Nobody is stopping you." It gets quiet then Daryl speaks up.

"We should keep moving." Daryl starts to lead the way. I pull on Glenn's arm. He looks at me and I smile and go quietly behind Daryl. I start mimicking the way he walks. Glenn chuckles as well as the women behind us. I don't realize it but so did Daryl. He turns around and I freeze and give him a big grin. He rolls his eyes and ruffles my hair so its all puffy. Then we hear a shot. I jump and run to Daryl. Lori starts to panic. We start to walk again, but Lori slows down.

"You still worrying about it?" Carol asked Lori.

"It was a gunshot."

"We all heard it." 

"Why one? Why just one gunshot?" Lori said, she was scared for Carl and Rick and maybe Shane.

"Maybe they took down a walker." Glenn suggested trying to help ease her mind.

"Please don't patronize me. You know wouldn't risk a gunshot to put down on walker, or Shane. They'd do it quietly." We stopped completely now. Lori was really worried.

"Shouldn't thy have caught up with us by now?" Andrea asked.

"There's nothing we can do about it, anyway. Can't run around these woods chasing echoes." Daryl said, he wanted to keep moving and all the stopping was irritating him.

"So, what do we do?" Andrea asked.

"Look for Sophia!" I said loudly. They all stared at me. "We need to find Sophia and go back to the Highway!"

"She right." Daryl said and we started to move again.

"I'm sorry for what you're going through. I know how you feel." Andrea said comforting Carol. Andrea didn't seem mad anymore, but maybe it was just me.

"I suppose you do....Thank you." Carol said keeping her eyes on where she was stepping. "The thought of her, out here by herself....It's the not knowing that's killin' me. I just keep hopin' and prayin' she doesn't end up like Amy." Carol covered her mouth realizing what she said. I got closer to Glenn, holding back tears.  "Oh God! That is the worst thing I ever said." Andrea looks to the ground.