Chapter Seven: Lights and Care

Third Person POV (I won't usually do this.)

Rick walks to Daryl's room to let them know food is out. His head is still pounding but he still goes on. Rick opens the door to find little Mason cuddling with Daryl and Daryl having a protective arm around her. They are both fast asleep. Mason is smiling in her sleep, which was rare. Daryl was snoring softly making Rick chuckle and think about what happened last night.

Last Night

Jenner Pulls Daryl and Rick away to the big Computer room. Jenner hands Daryl a thick book. The front says How To Deal With A Child With Asperger's Syndrome.

"The hell is this?" Daryl says. He is slightly drunk.

"That girl needs you, read and learn." Jenner says pointing at Daryl. Daryl swats his finger away from his face.

"She ain't mine." He says sternly. Pushing the book away. Jenner gets frustrated.

"A kid like that doesn't trust most people. I am guessing she is an orphan due to no one claiming her at the blood draws. She trust and cares for you. The least you could do is do the same for her." Jenner hands him the book. Daryl thinks for a minute. He was an asshole and a filthy Redneck. What the hell could he do for this little girl. Then he remember what she had said to him.

"Why you like me so much? Everyone finds me an ass but not you."

"Because your nice and you protect your family. You don't talk to people but I can see you are a nice person. We can be best friends, right Daryl. Can we be best friends?"

Mason was one of the few people he did like. The fact she cared about his scars made him feel needed, and cared for. Plus the pinkie promise.

"Promise we will never leave each other behind." 

"I promise." 

"Pinky promise?"

"What are you five?" 

"Yes." 

"Pinky Promise."

He takes the book and heads back to his room. He would protect her no matter what.

Mason's POV

I woke up and Daryl was asleep. His snores were in my ear making me giggle. I poked his arm that was around my tiny body. He didn't move. I rolled out of his grasp and He didn't budge.

"Daryl?" I said softly while shaking him. It was time to wake up. He wouldn't move. Damn he was a heavy sleeper. I got an Idea then. I got on the couch that was next to the cot. I jump and land on Daryl making him gasp and wake up. "Daryl!!!! Wake Up Lazy butt!!!" I giggled. Daryl looked irritated. My smile went away. I was in trouble.

"Better run little one." He grumbled. 

"What?" He then picked me up and started tickling me. "No stop it Daryl! Someone help me!!!" I laugh. Then Rick burst throughout the door making us both freeze. Rick looks at us then starts to laugh.

"Breakfast is ready guys." He says and closes the door. Daryl goes to the bathroom while I change back into the white Dress Carol gave me. It was pretty but dirty. I grab Ika and sit on the Cot to wait for Daryl. He comes out and sees me waiting. He changes his shirt and then starts to leave. I run up behind him and take his hand which startles him for a bit but he holds mine back.

-------

We get to the cafeteria. Rick and Glenn are holding their heads, in pain. Carol and T-Dog are making eggs. Dale is making coffee. Daryl grabs a plate of eggs and sits down. He starts to shove the egs in his mouth. Carol hands me a plate and a cup of Apple juice. I sit next to Rick.