Chapter Twenty Six: The End

All In Third Person POV

As a young child, most people would expect them to be freaked out when they see hundreds of flesh eating monsters coming at them. However Mason was the exact opposite. She stood next to Hershel, watching him fire his gun to protect his home. Watching Lori scream for her son, with Carol and Andrea next to her. Watching Patricia and Beth clung to each other. Watching her adoptive Father leaving her to fight the monsters. Watching the young couple help out and Jimmy following along. She thought of the thing that has kept her happy these few days.

Nelly

Mason realized she was waiting in the stables with the other horses. If they had a chance to escape, why couldn't they? Mason went into the house and grabbed two important things. One, Daryl's Knife that he left for her, and Two, her backpack. In the purple backpack, she held her stuffed animal and Sophia's doll, her drawing stuff, a water bottle, a granola bar but most important was the photo of Daryl's family. He kept dropping it so she kept it to keep it safe.

When she exited the house, she saw the walker barn up in flames. It was a sign there was no hope for this place anymore. She didn't see anyone so she ran for the barn. She killed a few walkers on the way, but the masses of walker had not reached the old worn wooden home for the animals. Once Mason reached the barn, she released all the horses but Nelly. It took a bit because of how short Mason was, but she did it and moved on to Nelly. Nelly had her bridle and there was no way Mason could put on a saddle so she had to do this bareback, not that Mason would know what that ment. When Nelly stood in the hallway, Mason could not figure out how to get on till she heard a voice. She turned to see a man in a suit, giving her a sweet warm smile. Her Father.

"The Stool, Mason. Use that." He said as he kept watch for Walkers. Mason nods with thanks and drags the heavy stool next to Nelly. Nelly had not moved which surprised Mason due to her nickname, Nervous Nelly. When Mason finally was able to climb on, her Father got on behind her and helped her hold the reins. When Nelly started to trot and go fast past the walkers, Mason was not ready for it, but her Father helped her ride on to the Highway. To her family.

=============================================

Back at the highway, Chaos started to arise. The group figured out a few things.

1. Shane, Jimmy and Patricia didn't make it.

2. Andrea was M.I.A

3. Everyone left Mason behind.

Daryl was more pissed at himself then anyone else. Rick refused to let anyone go back to the farm, so he was stuck on the highway. He had slight hope that Mason would come out of no where wnad be alive and well. It was a false hope inside his broken soul, but it was hope. Carol tried to comfort him, understanding the loss of a child, but he lashed out instead. Rick then wanted to leave and move on, which did not fly with Daryl.

"We can't leave!" He shouts. Everyone backs away for the fight between Rick and Daryl that was about to happen. Carl sat on one of the bed's of the truck and watched for his friend to come back.

"Daryl, I get you want to wait for her, but she is Five years old. How is she supposed to find her way here!" Rick pointed out.

"Find, Ya'll go. But I'm staying here for her." Daryl growled.

"I can't let you do that." Rick said.

"The Hell you can't." Daryl yelled, getting into Rick's face. Daryl was too mad to think of the walkers. He was too mad to think rationally. Before Rick could say anything back, Carl's shouts stopped everyone.

"LOOK!" He yelled as he pointed down the road. There was a horse approaching with a small figure on the back. Maggie stepped up as she realized who the horse was. It was Nelly. When Nelly saw Maggie, she slowed down and walked over. Daryl ran over and saw a miracle.

There was passed out Mason, Her brown hair covering her face. Her little hands holding on tight to the  reins. A rope attached to her waist connecting her to the horse. The little eyes fluttered open, her blue eyes staring at him. She smiled and lunged herself at Daryl. He caught her and held her tightly. No one would dare say it, but Dixon had tears coming out of his eyes. He fell to the ground holding his baby girl tight. Mason then took off her backpack and handed him the photo of his old life, of his girls.

"I saved it for ya Daddy." Mason says softly, she had been picking up Daryl's way of speaking. Daryl puts it back in the bag and olds her once more. Mason snuggled into her father's chest as she watched her real father disappear with a smile on his face.