Chapter Thirty Four: Hunting

Hunting was a lot harder than I thought. Ika and I tried following tracks like Daryl, but it didn't really help. But I would find him something.

I promise.

Third Person POV
The small group sat by their cars and waited for the four survivors to come back. Daryl leaned against his brother's bike and sighed.

He knew he need to talk to Mason. But when he hurt her, he felt himself becoming his Father. Never would he put a child in that position.

"Daryl?" A voice called. Daryl looked up to see little 12 year old Carl. His white freckled face looked filled with guilt. "I gotta tell you something."

"What?" Daryl asked a little too harsh.

"When Mason went on perimeter that night, it wasn't her idea." Carl confessed. Daryl sat up and looked at the boy.

"What you mean it wasn't her Idea?" Daryl growled.

"I bet I could kill more walkers than her, but she beat me and I got mad. I didn't hear her calling for help. I'm sorry." Carl said, sadness and pain filled his words.

"Its alright." Daryl said, confusing the little Grimes. "It ain't your fault."

Carl smiled than turned to see Glenn approaching them. Glenn did a double take on Daryl, making him scowl.

"What?" He snapped.

"You're not out in the woods hunting?" Glenn asked. Daryl snorted and rolled his eyes.

"I ain't ya damn chef. Fetch it yourself." Daryl spat at him.

"I just saw Mason go into the woods." Glenn stated, and Daryl quickly stood straight. "I thought she was following you."

"I ain't seen her since the cabin." Daryl said, feeling guilty. "The hell she go into the woods for!"

"Whats going on?" Rick emerged from the cars, Lori following behind. Everyone came over to Glenn and Daryl.

"Mason disappeared into the woods!" Carl tells everyone. Gasps escaped a few mouths, and Daryl's guilt was building up. He grabbed his crossbow and started stomping to the woods.

"Daryl!" Rick shouted, stooping him in his tracks. "We got to plan this out. She's five and lost. Who knows where she is."

"Six." Lori stated, everyone looked at her confused. "She is now six, her birthday past. She told us today in the car."

Daryl's heart broke again, and who knows how many times this could be repaired. He let his girl down, he pushed her away and now she in the woods. Just like Sophia. Just like Mikayla.

Daryl ignored the yelling behind him and head straight for the woods to look for tracks.

He would find her.

He will find her

================================================

The sun began to set and Mason was tired. Every time she tried to catch something, it would run away. She hid from the walkers and stayed quiet. She was losing hope. 

All Mason wanted to do was find something for her Daddy, to make him happy and proud.

The bush then moved next to her, making her gasp. Mason took out her knife, then threw it into the bush. A cry was heard and Mason quickly looked into the bush. She stabbed a bunny, right through the neck. It was dead and her catch.

"I did it!" She squeaked. Mason picked up the rabbit and her knife. She put the Rabbit in her back pack and kept her knife in hand. She turned around and started to follow her footsteps. She dragged her toe along the way so she could follow it when she need to go back. 

Mason was so proud of herself.

"I'm gonna give it to Daddy and then he's gonna love me!" Mason squealed to Ika. "Then we're gonna ride the bike and and then I'll tell him that I'm six years old!"

"Wow six?" Mason jumped at the rough voice. A Tall skinny man stood in the shadows, a smoke dangled from his lips. His face was worn out with his growing dark beard. A large knife hung by his belt, which hung next to a large bat. "You a big girl now."

"Yeah..." She said to him. Mason began to back away from him.

"You gotta group? You headin' back to your Daddy right?" The man asked. Mason stopped moving. Last person that came to the group from another group died. And the people who left Uncle Randall were bad too.

"J-J-Just My Daddy." She whimpered. Mason held Ika close to her chest. 

"What's your name darling?" The man asked as he kneeled. He had a charismatic glow to him, but the fearing echo of a killer.

"M-M-Mason." She stuttered. The man put out his hand and smiled.

"I'm Negan."