Chapter Eight: Tick Tock Goes The Clock

Daryl put his hand over the vent to feel the air. He shook his head. We open the door and Mr. Jenner walks by and grabs Daryl's bottle.

"What is going on?" Someone asks.

"Energy use is being prioritized." He responded and walked down the hallway, and we all followed. I squeeze Ika, I didn't think this would go over well.

"Air isn't a priority? And Lights?" Lori asks, she seemed mad.

"It is not up to me Zone 5 is shutting itself down." He snapped. We entered the Computer room again, Rick and the others came up too.

"What do you mean it's shutting itself down? How can a building do anything?" Rick Ask, making Mr. Jenner chuckle.

"You'd Be surprised."

"Mr. Jenner what is happening?" I ask him while tugging at his shirt.

"The system is dropping all the nonessential uses of power. It's designed to keep the computers running to the last possible second." He looks up at the clock. "That started as we approached the half-hour mark. Right on schedule." He takes a big gulp of Daryl's drink and hands it back. "It was the french.

"What?"

"They were the last ones to hold out as far as I know. While our people were bolting out the doors and committing suicide in the hallways, they stayed till the end. They thought they were close to a solution."

"What happened." Mr. Jenner Smirked.

"The Same thing that's happening here. No power grid, Ran out of juice. I mean how stupid is that?" Mr Jenner said. He was not okay.

"Let me tell you....." Shane started.

"To hell wit it, Shane I Don't care! Lori grab our thing. Everybody get your stuff. We're getting out of here." Rick said. Then an Alarm started to go off.

"What is that?" I ask Rick. He shakes his head.

"30 minutes to Decontamination."Vi says.

"Doc, whats going on here?" Daryl yells.

"Everybody, yall heard Rick lets move!" Shane yells. Everyone moves to the door when a metal sheet blocks us.

"Did you just lock us in?" Daryl growled. The noise was too much. I run over to sit by Mr. Jenner under the counter. I covered my ears. I heard people yelling at Mr. Jenner and then he snapped.

"You know what this place is? We protect the public from very nasty stuff. Weaponized smallpox! Ebola! Stuff you don't want getting out!" He took a breathe to calm down. "In the event of a catastrophic power failure....in a terrorist attack for example...H.I.Ts are deployed to prevent any organism from getting out."

"H.I.T's?" Rick asked. The Vi defined it. I crawled out and sat next to Andrea. Vi used big words i didn't understand.

"It sets the air on fire. No Pain. An End of sorrow, grief, regret everything."

"Open the damn door!" Shane yells.

"Out of my way!" Daryl starts taking an axe to the door.

"You should've left it alone. It would have been so much easier." Mr. Jenner said.

"Easier for who?" Lori snapped. She was comforting Carl.

"All of you. You know what's going on out there. Do you want to end up like her sister or Mason's parents?" I felt tears running down my face.

"Can't make a dent!" Daryl yells.

"Those doors are designed to withstand a rocket launcher." Mr. Jenner told him making Daryl really mad.

"Well, your head ain't!" Daryl yells and swings the axe to hit him.

"NO!" I scream and grab Mr. Jenner's leg making Daryl freeze. He then turns back to the door.

"Mr. Jenner? Can you let them out?" I ask. Rick stood next to us. He frowns and looks at the ground. I take the picture out of my boot and give it to him. He opens it and a smile appears. 

"A girl like this is needed to keep hope alive." Rick says. Mr. Jenner types into the keypad and opens the door.

"I can't open the ones up top."

"Thank you." Rick rushed out with everyone. Jacqui and Andrea wanted to stay. Dale walks over to Andrea.

"Andrea this isn't what Amy would want for you." Dale said. I stood next to him.

"She is dead and you need to leave." Andrea said and put her knees to her chest.

"Fine You win." Dale sits in front of her and she panics.

"Don't pull this Dale!" 

"If you are staying, I'm staying too." I look at the clock and there was 2 minutes left. I pull on Andrea's shirt. Her eyes widen when she looks at me same as Dale.

"What are you doing here!!!" Andrea yells.

"I was waiting for you."

"She is staying too, you gonna let her die too Andrea?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daryl's POV

Carol handed Rick a Grenade to break the glass. Rick throws it and I cover Sophia and Carol. I hope out and help people out of the building. Once everyone is out I look around for Mason.

"Mason?!" I yell, there in no response. I look back at the building she is till there. I was about to run inside when Shane and Glenn grab me and pull me back.

"Mason is still in there!" I yell trying to break there grasp. They pull me closer and closer to the cars. I made that girl a promise. I wouldn't break it. I mange to break free of their grip when I see three bodies come from the building. 

Andrea, Dale and....Mason. 

"Get Down!" Rick yells. Dale pulls Andrea and Mason behind a barrier, Me Shane and Glenn go behind the truck. The building exploded. Firs pouring out of it. The building collapses. I see Andrea and Dale running over With Mason in their arms. Dale hands her to me. She is covering her ears and hyperventilating. I get her into my truck.

"Mason look at me, your okay. Everyone is okay." She cries harder and looks at me with them gorgeous Blue Eyes. Her face is swollen. I go to touch her but she flinches then realizes it is me. She sobs into my chest. I put her in her seat and I get in mine and Drive off. Walkers were gonna come to this site. She puts her head in my lap and I stroke her hair to calm down.

"Daryl? Where are we going?" She asks me. 

"Don't Know Pinkie, where ever isn't here." She then starts to drift away in my lap. But before she passes out, she says to me,

"I promised Dixon I keep my promises." Then she falls asleep. I feel the stupid grin on my face.