*Chapter 13*

The next day at school was beyond awkward. I tried to ignore Luke in all of my classes that I shared with him because I just couldn't bring myself to try and talk to him. Even when I felt his eyes on the side of my head, I kept my attention forward and willed myself to listen to the teachers' rants.

I patted myself on the back after second block cause I was pretty sure I was doing a marvelous job. That is, until he plopped his butt in the empty seat at our table during lunch. I was smug at first, expecting everyone to shoo him away, but it quickly changed to shock when they openly welcomed him.

I then chose to focus my energy on shooting him daggers, even when Jessica stared giving me disapproving looks. When he started chowing down on his food noisily, my bubble of anger burst.

"Stop eating like a pig. The people who sit at this table excercise decent manners,"I said snidely even though I knew the remark was completely not true. This wasn't how I usually acted, but there was something about Luke that made me want to rip all of my hair out.

"I-I'm sorry,"he said, sounding shocked and confused.

Then he looked back down at his tray and started eating slower and more properly. I looked around at the table of friends that were now stunned into silence and giving me disbelieving looks.

Then Jared decided to break it and nudged Luke softly in the side,"Don't worry man. She just has a stick up her ass today. We eat like that all the time. C'mon Sean, let's show him."

Sean and Jared began to stuff their faces like the pigs they are and after a smile and a laugh, Luke joined in too. Boys are so annoying. I put on my meanest glare and let out a groan of frustration. I stood up, fed up with what was going on before my eyes.

"I'm out of here,"I said quickly before heading out of the cafeteria and disappearing around the corner.

I heard Jessica say something and then footsteps were following me out to the courtyard. I plopped down on one of the benches away from the others and let my head drop into my hands. I heard Jessica sit down next to me and without lifting my head up I said,"Just leave me alone. I don't want to talk about it."

"Oh, but you do. That is the joy of being your best friend, I always know what you want. So, let's atlk about it. I thought you agreed to be his friend."

"I tried but I can't. I can't be friends with him, Jess!"I said.

Jessica sighed and put an arm around my hunched shoulders. I lifted my head up and gave her a look. Jessica finally said,"Yes, you can. We all think that it will be best. For both of you."

"You don't understand,"my voice sounded thick with unshed tears,"He's just going to leave again when he goes on tour! A-and if he leaves me again, I don't think I'll be able to get through it."

Jessica began to say soothing things to try and calm me down as I finally broke out in tears. I can't believe I was doing this again. I promised myself I wouldn't do this anymore! I'm supposed to be stronger than this!

But, despite my pep talk, the tears kept coming and just like the afternoon before, Jessica began to whisper soothing things in my ear. I remembered that we were in public and quickly lifted my head up. The few people that could see us clearly were looking at me like I was crazy, whispering amongst themselves. I groaned and wiped away all of my remaining tears. I can do this.

I got out my small mirror and reapplied my makeup. I heard the bell ring faintly, si I stood up and turned to Jess and gave her a small thanks before heading to my third block. I was late by the time I made it there and I just prayed that I wouldn't get yelled at by the teacher. I knocked on the door and the teacher came and opened it.